Newsletter May 2015 Newsletter

wewo

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
3,433
?Whoever controls the media, controls the mind?
- Jim Morrison (courtesy of www.goodreads.com)

You will do as I say, muhaha! Media has become a part of life. It is no longer just the Newspaper and the Network News on TV. Now we have hundreds of cable channels, and, of course, the internet. We get ads on websites, podcasts, blogs and youtube. Therefore, it should not surprise you that eGO is into media. Witness ads on the website and ads on the servers (unless you are a dedicated supporter:p). At Edgegamers we also bring the news to you, the members. We have podcasts, front page news and the monthly newsletter. eGO Media brings news to you about what is happening in eGO. You will likely see, in the near future, eGO also using media to introduce itself to the gaming community and the world. I promise not to control you ... much.

wewo​

View attachment 8571
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006#post2750218"]A jolly time with TheJollyRoger[/link]

View attachment 8574
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006#post2750221"]Grand Theft carpal tunnel syndrome V?[/link]

View attachment 8576
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006#post2750225"]Get some 1 v 1[/link]

View attachment 8578
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006#post2750228"]MC = Frankenstein[/link]

View attachment 8580
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006#post2750232"]see TF2's shiny new achievement[/link]

This month's newsletter was edited by whoflungpoo and SuperGlue. Sharknado came through with a pinch hit home run, creating the artwork. A special thanks to SigmaTaurus, who wrote 3 articles this month while I wallowed in the RL muck!
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8572

by SigmaTaurus

eGO Media Team! Tehehe!

Some people might say that interviewing a Media Advisor is somehow self-centered.

But bear with me (Rawr, I like bears), because this month we talked with TheJollyRoger and it was a fun conversation that if you totally read to the end, I'll give you a cookie.

1. When did you join EdgeGamers? And how did you find the community?

It was around May 11th in 2011, which will make this month my 4th year anniversary. I just starting playing Counter-Strike and discovered and played on eGO servers mostly because they were family-friendly. One guy, forgot his name since he didn't stay in eGO long after, told me about the benefits with being in a clan. Since I didn't have that many friends at the time, I thought, ?Well, why not?? The rest, as they say, is history.

2. What genres do you prefer when it comes to gaming?

I grew up with Nintendo platformers and adventures and still love to play the occasionall Nintendo game. When it comes to PC gaming, I certainly love fps. I play Doom a lot as well as other classic fps. I also love rpgs, which comes naturally since I love a good story. I have recently been exploring grand strategies like EUIV, as well as rougelikes (true rougelikes, not the hipster-indie ?roguelites? that are popular right now) and old games (pre-2001).

3. And when it comes to variations of punk folk grind-core?

Nah, man. To experience life and the universe to the fullest you have start with your roots, so pure folk. Then you slowly gravitate to the heavier stuff like prog rock, psychedelic, Johnny Cash, and the Blues. Then, when you've finally reached the stars, you enjoy the wonderful galaxy of classical music. Bach, Beethoven, Berlioz, Brahms, Mendelsohn Mozart, Bartok, Mussorgsky Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Elgar, Handel, Haydn Messiaen, Schubert, Dvorak, the list goes on.

4. Why did you choose to be part of the News Team?

When Lilshortstop, Legend, and Zimmy were still the leaders of the Front Page Team, I was studying for English at college and the News Team needed a few editors. I thought it would be a good idea to practice my skills in some way by writing and editing for an online blog or news site, so I gave the test article a shot. Of course, I also wanted to keep helping eGO is some manner. I wasn?t bothered that I would be an Admin Trainer as well as editor.

5. Have you ever seen the morning dew on the roses on spring?

No, but I have seen the rain on a sunny day. (CCR is such a great band)

6. Tell us about yourself, what do you, who do you dig, whatever you want.

I dig you babe. <3
Just kidding. In all seriousness, I?m an American in the South who is currently not in college to help his self-employed dad. I?m planning to continue my English studies after my family?s finances are stable. In between helping the family and gaming, I read constantly, everything from Tolkien to Homer (the Greek poet). Obviously I love music. Playing and performing on the piano for most of my life, I can quickly learn most fine sonatas or etudes.


7. As Advisor of eGO Media, what are your plans for the remaining year?

The community managers and directors are planning a big change for our website. I won?t give any details, but I am at the moment helping the Media Team prepare for that change. As for smaller stuff, I?m helping wewo and Legend recover the Media Team after the loss of Caelestis and Insomnia Princess.

8. Any additional comments?

To tell you truth, I?m not that optimistic for the gaming industry and gaming as a hobby. You look at recent developments like paid modding, Sony going bankrupt, Konami leaving console and pc gaming, GamerGate, and most companies adapting anti-consumer policies, among other things. It?s not a pleasant prospect.
Yet despite what is happening with video games, I am certainly optimistic for eGO?s future. People desire a community around what they love most, and gaming is no exception. I came to eGO looking for some nice people hang around and play games and people like me have found that. I believe eGO will grow and expand to new games and projects, because at the end of the day, we all just want to have fun with friends. Go eGO!


That's right, Go eGO! Go-E-Go! Goe-Go! No matter how you pronounce it, it spells "Awesome".

Read ya' later
SigmaTaurus

PS: Here's a WEBSITE with the recipes for the most delicious cookies. Ever.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
View attachment 8573

by SigmaTaurus

Grand Theft Auto. Five.

Yes.

Oh, yes.

But no, this month we will be all serious and mature and stuff.

OK gaming is great, we all know that. It provides entertainment, improves several of our bodily systems and teaches you the true definition of "overcome your anger".

Look at the palm of your right hand. In the left side of your wrist you'll see a swelling growing and sometimes turning red.

No, it's not cancer, don't worry. No, you do not need to google that, probably the results will scare you even more. It's just, as I said, a swelling, caused by the incorrect position of the hand while using a computer mouse.

Why does this matter? Well because this can be the beginning of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. What is that? Well according to http://www.video-game-addiction.org/:

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused when the main nerve between the forearm and hand is squeezed or pressed. This occurs when the carpal tunnel (the area of the wrist that houses the main nerve and tendons) becomes irritated or swollen. Overuse of a computer mouse can cause such irritation and swelling, as can excessive use of a video game controller.

How do we prevent this?

a) Buy a mouse pad with a support zone to rest your forearm and/or your wrist.
b) Play less...Yeah, sure.

There are several websites and organizations that state that video-game addiction can be prevented mostly if we are to reduce the amount of time we are stuck with the computer or the console. I am not here to enforce that (that's why you have mom and dad, or uncle, or that creepy guy that babysits your ass). I've suffered from CTS (Carpal... you know the rest) and I must share this with you guys: IT FREAKING HURTS. Recovery depends on the damage, in my case it was just few weeks of exercises. Sometimes you need surgery. Sometimes you will need a new robotic wrist made of titanium with flamethrower included. It depends, as I said.

If you are waiting (like I was) to really wreck your crap to actually do something about it, you better do something now.

There will be a time when gaming will involve telepathic waves and mind control, in the meantime, go get yourself a damn supported pad.

The quoted organization states about other problems related to video-games, but honestly all of them can be fixed easily or prevented with easier measures. If you are going to check the website, go with an open mind because you will find a lot of crap and sometimes some useful information.

Read ya' later
SigmaTaurus.

PS: GTA:V Online is incredibly fun. I'm so into it now. Play it ASAP.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
View attachment 8575
by flamelauncher11

Hello, fellow EdgeGamers and welcome to another edition of the monthly EdgeGamers Newsletter! As usual, I will be taking over the Counter-Strike division to bring you the latest and greatest in Counter-Strike news! It has been a very busy month in the CS Division, and I cannot wait to cover everything that has happened over the last few weeks!

Promotions

What better way to kick the article off than to congratulate some CS Division members for their recent promotions! Congratulate Black Dragon, Aaron, Lukeirish, Hucci, AceElite, and neverme as they join the group of determined =(eG)= ranked members in our community. Also, DrinkADrink, Leviathan, yuNg, Toast, and Helpless Glint will be joining the senior admins at the rank of =(eGO)=! Congratulations to everyone!

Awards

Along with promotions, a few awards have been awarded to many players; Hellboy, Chewyy, and Aaron have received the Veteran Level 1 award, population7 earned his Veteran Level 2 status, The Unknown Specialist, Box Head, and Aaron earned their Handyman ribbons and last, but not least, Fistacles and Lucifer Arise earned their Admin Excellence awards for their continued dedication to keeping our CS servers family friendly. Congratulations, guys!

CS Division

In other CS news, CSGO finally has its own 1v1 server! This server places players in different 1v1 arenas and as players progress, they move up to fight other players until the final two battle it out to claim the winning title. More information can be found here. Lately, the CS Divisional Forums have been booming with all sorts of interesting threads from numerous members, so be sure to hop onto the forums and check those out. Last, but not least, the CS Division says goodbye to an old server in CS:S; the cs_office server has been the site of numerous recruiting drives, events, and late night fights but as the division added newer servers and bigger events, it came time to finally retire the office server.

Well, that's all for this one folks. Until next time, keep buying skins and opening up cases. This is flamelauncher11 signing out.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8577

by SigmaTaurus

Minecraft recently reached more than one million players world wide.

That's almost as many as League of Legends and H1Z1's bunch.

And if you take a closer look and think about it, the game is actually pretty simplistic and, some might say, a bit dull. Well, probably not dull as it is kinda straight forward to the point where you complete everything you could in a short time.

So how could this piece of art still be something that people consume on a regular basis, being so simple and 'monochromatic'? I've done some research and found that more than half of the MC active players mod it in many different ways.

Gaming industries have been evolving in a curious manner. Now games are half produced by the creators and half produced by the consumers. Yes, with mods. Let's not forget this game has become so powerfully attractive to gaming masses that Microsoft recently bought it.

So we wonder what EdgeGamers is doing to contribute to this new line of work where users add their ideas to the main pool of mods? The answer lies within our MC servers with the multitude of plug-ins available and currently running and/or being tested. Of course modifying servers is not something everyone does. However, I extend an invitation to all MC entrepreneurs and average fanatics to add your own ideas and alternatives to make eGO's Minecraft server a more complex and varied place to play at.

Perhaps some people (like yours truly) would wonder if modding a game a lot could cause it to actually stop having the original idea and result in a Frankenstein of a game. You guys can judge for yourselves, but in my personal and humble opinion, it can't be so bad to have a game modded to the point where you can't even recognize the main idea, as long as you are still entertained. Take Skyrim, for instance. You can change the game to the point where you have no idea where you got so lost, and still enjoy it.

How can we experience such a situation? First of all join eGO on their daily events in our MC servers and go to the Division Discussion forums and suggest as many mods and plug-ins as possible. Then perhaps one day you'll see what I'm talking about; something so weird and different that is actually better than good.

Yeah, its a trip to give it a thought, but a thought worth your while.

Read ya' later
SigmaTaurus.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8579

by whoflungpoo

This month has seen a lot of change in the Team Fortress 2 division. Some happy, some sad.

Leadership Promotions

It was the rise of the Mister's this month in the TF2 division! Mister36 was promoted to Division Leader. Please congratulate him on the forums, servers, TeamSpeak 3, and anywhere else you see him!

The other Mister in the TF2 division, Mister Adam, was promoted to Community Manager. Congratulations and very well deserved to both of you!

Server Changes

-Another one unfortunately bites the dust. The Team Fortress 2 division said goodbye to its CP Rotation server due to lack of support and low server rankings. This brings the division to a total of three servers (not counting the event server).

-The Hightower server has been changed to a 24/7 Turbine server. Turbine is a Capture the Flag style map. You can check it out here on GameTracker. Go see for yourself, it's really fun!

-Lastly, the very popular 2Fort server has been changed from 24 slots to 32 slots. Yay, more people!

*If you want to be kept up-to-date on the TF2 server rankings, check out their thread HERE*

Events

The TF2 division is currently looking for new Event Coordinators. To be eligible for this, you must be of eGO rank and meet some other requirements. For more information on how to become an EC and where to sign up, check out this thread.

Achievements

Some of you may have already saw, but for those who didn't, the TF2 achievements have a new design, chosen by the Community Managers. Eventually all divisions will also have some shiny new achievements. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here is an example:
teamfortress_coin.png


Awards and Promotions

Last but not least, the Team Fortress 2 division ended the month of April with some well deserved promotions and awards for its dedicated members. I won't go into detail here, but you can check out the full list on the Front Page HERE.

With all this going on, be prepared for an action-packed month of May in the TF2 division and make sure to check the Division Discussion daily!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284006"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
Good read as always, boys and girls. Keep up the good work and more importantly...

VIVA LA COUNTER STRIKE
 

Latest posts

Back
Top