In the majority of people, they have a loyalty to a certain company and / or product series; whether it be smartphone OS / manufacturer (iOS vs Android / Samsung vs Apple), or console (PlayStation vs Xbox), graphics card manufacturer (AMD vs Nvidia), PC OS (Windows vs Mac), etc. It's just a natural competition between products, that certain people expand to flamewar-levels (though at certain times a certain product is, by technical specifications, superior to the other).
I'm personally waiting for the "VR wars" between Oculus VR, Inc. (with Oculus Rift) and Valve Corporation (with the Lighthouse-supported HTC Vive). 'though they've already sort of begun after the Schism of Oculus supporters after the Vive's announcement, lol.
Nice video, I think one of the biggest problems is how expensive consoles (and their games) are. Most people can only afford one (at least for a while) and are probably threatened by the thought of their friends "abandoning" them for another console.
When I was a kid I begged for all three branches of console at the same time every Christmas (playstation, nintendo, sega until dreamcast died). Back in the day us kids wish we had all the consoles, yet were thrilled to have even one, and wouldn't even consider knocking another kid for having a different one. As adults many of us can only afford one for a while, so much research, planning, and dreaming goes into the decision on which one it will be that some become attached to the console itself I suppose. It's important for gamers to know every console has its own charm I loved that you even mentioned the Tamagotchi
A true musician could appreciate any instrument, a true athlete any sport, and a true gamer, any console.