Dilemma: PS4 or Xbox One.

Full Grizzly

Thread Thumper
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
1,032
What's up ladies and gents,

The title says it all. I'm about to buy a new console; either the PS4 or Xbox One. 99% of my mates have bought a PS4. At the beginning I resented them, because I've gotten used to the Xbox 360, so an Xbox One would be a logical follow-up.

We can't lie that the specs of the PS4 are way better. Though the PS4 is mainly focussed on gaming, the Xbox One has its focus also on Multi Media. And since I don't care much for Multi Media such as Netflix ( I stream everything via Popcorn Time), this feature alone wouldn't cut it for me. Graphics are better on the PS4, obviously. But that doesn't mean the graphics of the Xbox One are horrible. They're still really good, just not compared to PS4 games (1080p vs 720p). Currently the games aren't very different when it comes down to graphics. But in the long run this will probably change due to the fact that PS4 has to possible to process better games. As far as I've seen the Xbox One has a bit of a darker shade to it than the PS4 ( in game that is). Anyway, the reason why I'm in such a dilemma is because of the following:

A few reasons to go for the PS4:
1. I can play with most of my friends;
2. The controller has improved significantly in comparison to the PS2/3 controller;
3. Games such as Bloodbourne, God of War, Uncharted & Killzone look very good! (I would like to have your opinion on these games, since I have 0 experience with them)
4. The specs are better.

A few reasons to go for the Xbox One:
1. The controller beats the PS4 every single time;
2. Halo 5: Guardian & Gears of War are some of my favourite games;
3. I find the menu way better and easier to navigate through ( though that could be because of my experience with the Xbox 360. It's probably a matter of getting used to).
4. Controllers are getting an upgrade ( every controller made in June 2015 will be equipped with a 3.5mm jack, just like the PS4 controller);

I'm so torn between these two consoles. And in the long run I think I'll regret my decision either way, because if I go for the Xbox One I'll be able to play Halo & Gears of War, but I will not be able to play with most of my friends. But if I buy the PS4 I'll be able to play with my friends, try out the new exclusive PS4 games such as Bloodbourne & Uncharted, but I will not be able to play GoW & Halo.

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated! Some of you might be in the same situation, or you might have been in this similar pickle yourself.

Thanks!

F.G. :thumbup1:
 
The Playstation 4.
Firstly, I myself had always Playstation, and I think also the best to work with.
Second, if the playstation gives you the chance to play with most of your friends, I would definitely do that !
Besides that, if its easyer to go though is does not make it better, i think the playstation 4 has an far better menu/system.
 
The Playstation 4.
Firstly, I myself had always Playstation, and I think also the best to work with.
Second, if the playstation gives you the chance to play with most of your friends, I would definitely do that !
Besides that, if its easyer to go though is does not make it better, i think the playstation 4 has an far better menu/system.
Thanks man!
 
Coming from a household that has both the PS4 and the Xbox One, I would have to say the PS4. But here is my list from using them:

PS4:

Controllers:
I like the controller. I've always grown up with the controllers back in the day, with the analog sticks at the bottom, instead of one offset, like the Xbox controller. Although I like the feel of the Xbox controller, I just have a history with the PS controller. I don't like the fact that the batteries seem to die out quicker than the PS3 controllers. (It seems that they have put a weaker battery in the PS4 controllers). Also, with the headset, I can use my PC headset or simple earbuds to enjoy the game's audio wirelessly and quietly.

System:
Its stronger than the One in tech specs. Games, such as Bloodbourne and Resident Evil 2: Revelations looks beautiful on it. However, the deck runs a bit hot enough to make it louder than the One. It's very easy to replace the HDD in the PS4. In fact, they include the how-to in the instructions. I'm not all that keen on the design, but I'm not all that great on the design of the One either.

Menu/OS:
It's a bit dull, to be honest. They moved a good deal around comparing this to the PS3, but I'm hoping through various system updates, they will get it polished. I'm a fan of the Metro-style interface that Microsoft is moving to, regardless that it looks a little like "baby's first operating system" that you find similar in Win 8 and 10. It plays media better; Plex runs faster and less choppy on the PS4 than on the One.

Xbox One:

Controllers:
I like the controllers, I really do. However, if you want to hook things up to them, you need adapters. And the adapters is just another charge on the ol' credit card. Battery life is longer than that of the PS4. Both have finally adapted to the microUSB interface.

System:
Although weaker than the PS4, there's very little differences in quality when you look at a game that spans across both systems, like Destiny or GTAV. I've seen some GTAV videos that looks visually the same and the system can only be determined if you catch a menu option (press triangle, as opposed to press X). I don't like the fact that xbox 360 components do not necessarily work out of the box, just like PS3 components to the PS4.

Menu/OS:
I like the menu and the bundled programs better than the PS4. When it comes to a gaming console, the more "noise" I have on my home screen, the better. Download games? They show up on the front page on the One. Games I have on the PS4, I have to go into another menu for.

Overall, it seems that there isn't too much that will steer you in either direction, but I would personally get the PS4. It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of exclusives AAA titles that are coming out for a single system (Batman, Deus Ex, Mighty No 9, etc). That, and you would be able to play with friends online. Feel free to ask any specific questions in the event that I didn't cover any sections that you are curious about.
 
I prefer the Xbox One myself, but that's just because I prefer its exclusives, its what my friends use and I've been using Xbox series since the original.

If your friends use PS4 though get that, playing by yourself does get boring after a while. The only game I am familiar with is Bloodborne, which I have heard is amazing. Made by the same company that made the Dark Souls series, which are great games and Bloodborne only improves on it.
 
Thanks to both of you for replying!

And yes, I'm going for the PS4:) Playing with friends is eventually why you choose which console you want. Thanks for the input, it has helped me to finalise my decision!
 
I would probably get the Xbox because of Microsoft (surprisingly) and probably the PS4 because of the general good things I've heard. But overall I would have to abandon my Xbox "love" and get the the PS4.
 
Let me start by saying, I'm an Xbox fanboy and I love my 360.
I've had my One for about a year now and I gotta say... I don't like it.
It's OS is uncomfortable to use, laggy, and even crashy at times.
Frankly, I prefer the 360 layout.
Now all that said, and it's still 500x the console that PS4 will never be.
And if you watched E3 yesterday, it just got even better.
 
Thanks to both of you for replying!

And yes, I'm going for the PS4:) Playing with friends is eventually why you choose which console you want. Thanks for the input, it has helped me to finalise my decision!

Glad you made the right choise =3:thumbup1:
 
New pro for Xbox1 coming up: Backwards compatibility...
Not really a pro considering it should've been their all along just using it as a business plan now to attract late/new buyers towards xbox one. If anyything I'd lean towards PS after their delay on releasing that software and that's coming from someone who has had xbox for years and xbox one since day of release.
 
The Wii U

The PS4 has no games except Victorian Dark Souls. XBox is Call of Duty: The Console.
 
Back
Top