I think so as long as you are playing on eGO servers and it's highly recommended even if not. If you really want to change your name go to the name change request and you can change your name on the forums too match that in game.
From what I understand, if you are on an eGO server and are a member of this community, you are expected to retain the same ingame name as your forum name. If you would like to make a name change, your can put in a request here: http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/profile.php?do=requestusername
So you're easily identifiable. If a situation comes up involving say, a ban, it can be tedious to have to go through multiple names for the same person. Additionally, it just makes it easier to distinguish who you're talking to if someone on the forums/teamspeak has the same name as they do in-game.
EDIT: Whoops, misread that. I thought he was asking why the names had to match. Welp, if you were wondering, thats why