DVD-ROM drive problem

Edrick

I made one post
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
13
I just bought a game over the weekend C&C TW and for some reason my drive will not recognize the game cd when it's in the drive.

I've checked the CD on a friend's computer and it's fine.

I've updated my firmware on the drive and still no luck, the drive's power lights just blink a couple times when I put the disk in and then nothing, no spinning of the drive nor does it even show up as having a disk in the drive when I look at the drive through Start > MY Computer.

Anyone have any ideas, I'm all out of them :(
 
I've had this happen occasionally.

I've yet to resolve the issue, I always ended up downloading a pirated version and using my legit CD-key. Kinda backwards reason to pirate, isn't it? =/
 
Where would I get a version of this to download, as EA tech support was less then helpful.

Having the game CD and the CD key I don't think anything is wrong with that, just not sure where to find it.
 
I'm sure this is just a silly question but...Is the game disc a DVD or CD? Is your drive a DVD or CD drive? I think you know where I'm going with this.
 
Have you verified the drive with other CDs? If other CDs won't read either, quiet often dust can be the cause of the problem. You could fix this by either taking the drive out, take the housing appart, and carefully dust off the lens inside the drive with a very soft brush (something like a powder brush girls use for make-up (don't use a used one)) I have done this successfuly myself many times. You can also try cleaning disk as well. Or you could buy a new drive at newegg.com, these drives only cost you like $30 the most (incl. shipping). Sometimes not even worth the money fixing the old ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228 the one here is for IDE/PATA. make sure this would fit your comp needs.
 
Primesghost: No silly questions :) It is a DVD game disc - I have a DVD-ROM drive that plays DVD & CD disks

MenOpaws: When this problem came up, I tried a game disk from a different game that I own and after putting it in the drive the installation screen for that pops up.
 
Indeed, I've had random DVDs and CDs both, no scratches or dust, just blatantly not be recognized.

Very odd.

I'll contact you privately Matey.
 
sweet holy necro batman!


Possible Problems/Solutions:

Autorun fails to start, so start it manually. Open 'My Computer', right click your dvd drive and select 'explore'. Double-click autorun or setup.

or

Your dvd is most likely a dvd9 disk more commonly known as 'dual-layer'. Your drive might play dvds, but not dual layer dvds.

finally

The only other solution i have to offer is that SafeDisk isn't playing nice with something you have installed. Use a pirated version of the media with your actual cd key to bypass the disk protection.
 
Your dvd is most likely a dvd9 disk more commonly known as 'dual-layer'. Your drive might play dvds, but not dual layer dvds.

Seriously? I thought all DVD-ROM drives played dual-layer and only a some burners burned dual-layer...
 
Seriously? I thought all DVD-ROM drives played dual-layer and only a some burners burned dual-layer...

Dual layer is part of the DVD spec. However, it all depends on how close the manufacture followed said spec. You might be able to fix your problem with a firmware upgrade to the DVD player.
 
yea i used to have that problem on an old computer. You could always just try opening up your case and disconnections the wires, it might either be SATA or IDE but just disconnect all of it including the powersupply one and then re-connect it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top