New Rig question

Bigbird

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
1,634
I am currently in the market to build a new rig and I have a $1000 dollars to spend and my brother and I have done some scrounging around on newegg and found some excellent hardware for great prices. Just wanted to get the thoughts of some people here to make sure the hardware was all compatible and would run smoothly, I am not very good with the tech. Here are the specs so far:

HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148309
Vid Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143117
RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197
MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128084
Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024

There are a couple other minor components but they are common and easy to incorporate. Just need know if this is going to work well.
 
Those choices all look good but 250gb hdd may be a tad small but if you have older drives lying around you can toss those in there as well.
 
the parts will work together but i will recommend to get different ram and a different case

i don't think your really going to need 4 gigs of dominator grade ram, 4 gigs of regular ram will cost you like $40-50 less

the case seems to be a tad expensive as well
a centurion will get the job done and i think i saw last week the antec900 for $20 less then the one you listed

the money you save could go into a better graphics card such as a 4850, best bang for buck card out right now and close to the price of that 8800gt you listed
 
the sonata case line is pretty nice, but if it were me, I would go with either the 300 or 900 with a better PSU than an Antec. The 300 is on sale for $60 with free ship through Newegg and then you could go from the E8500 to the E8400 with little sacrifice to free up some more money for a better PSU.

250GB harddrive is plenty big enough. I have a 250 and an 80 in my computer along with a 250 external... I don't have TONS of music, so I MIGHT have used a total of 100GB between all three. If you do fill up later, HDDs are cheap and easy to install.

I actually just ordered a new set up for my wife. I like the 900 (my case), but the 300 was too much to resist with the $60 price tag. I bought an OCZ Stealthextreme 600watt PSU for $50 (after rebate) for hers as well. But for the $1000 price tag, I also managed to include a 22" flat scrren and the newer upgraded Intel P43 chipset (you can get P45 for not much more).

Looks like a great set up!
 
I agree the antec sonota is not very much worth 100 to me, check out nzxt cases like the apollo, i have that one i bought for about 60 shipped on newegg last year and it has served me very well not to mention it looks great cause of its transparent front door you can see your cd drive lights and even a fan controller. Also i think you could shop around for a cheaper video card for an 8800 gt at least.
 
I would getter a bigger hard drive. I have 250, and its just not enough. I'm probably going to upgrade later in the year.
 
sonata isnt my favorite case either. Other than that it looks good. But if your spending that much on a proc and jump up to the q6600. Sure you may not need it now. But down the road itll be useful.
 
dont get into the hype of the quad core though, by the time we even start having software to take advantage of quad cores, there would be like 10 cores and what not. If you think about it most software barely even actually takes advantage of dual cores, so i really believe it would be better just to get the strongest dual core intel that you could afford rather than quad core.
 
dont get into the hype of the quad core though, by the time we even start having software to take advantage of quad cores, there would be like 10 cores and what not.

It's not hype. If you don't need a quad, why get it? I need a quad, therefore I shucked out the money for it (just bought another, lulz). Get a high clocked dual if all you do is game (E8400 comes to mind).

Oh, and there won't be procs with 10 cores. It'll be octocore and then jump to ~12.

Nehalem ftw.

~Gooda
 
Homie i agree with you fully. I only meant if hes spending that much on a processor why not go quad. A quad is always nice. Im currently running a e2180 @3.0ghz. But even when i was running at stock, it worked excellent. I just got done playing bioshock, on the highest settings and didnt notice a hitch. Also i dont notice my cores being tapped too much cept when im encoding doing vmware, listening to music and browsing the web.

Im not saying go that low, however if you feel you don't need a quad, drop down, a couple of notches, save some cash invest elsewhere. If its not fast enough do a bit overclocking. Its really simple, just up the fsb. I just typed 300 in my board since i have a x10 multiplier. Reboot and it was done. I had the stock heatsink for bout a month. It ran a bit toasty nothing too hot. Bought a heatsink for 1$ after rebate, added a yate loon 120mm fan for a 3$. The thing maxes out at ~48c . But i have 5 slow 120mms in my case.

When i was looking at processors for my build i was looking at the higher up lines, e6550/e6750. But i was tight on cash and decided to give the 2180 a try and did not regret it at all.
 
yea i agree with soulnothing. If you are planning to mostly play games invest in like sli or something instead of more expensive processor and what not hha
 
And that's totally fine. It's just annoying when people jump on quads like they're the devil or something 0.o

Rule of thumb:

Doing anything that uses multiple threads (IE: Video encoding, certain games)? Lots of multitasking? Get a quad!

Gaming, listening to music, and browsing the eGO forums? Nab a dual ;)

~Gooda~
 
I wouldn't recommend SLI/Crossfire unless your gaming above 1680x1050. A single card can usually do just fine. There are some downsides, to dual gpu cards. As in higher energy requirements, hotter, noisier.

Im not trying to tout my rig or nothing just giving some perspective. I spent ~450 (note ~ the price of a console) on mine. 2180, 9600gt, 2gb ram, p35. Ive played two demanding games on highest setting (turned down aa and as down a bit though) at 1680x1050. The point im trying to make is you dont need to spend all that much to get a killer system now.

I look at it two ways. You can either buy high now, or low now and do incremental upgrades. Buying high now, nets a guaranteed longer lifetime, and is the safer option. However newer procs may be more effencient, and get better performance to the clock. This is where the buy a quad if your spending that much on a proc came in. Buying a quad will extend the lifetime, a good bit.

Buying low which is what I did is riskier. Due to the life span of sockets and ram For example i spent ~80, i can spend another 100 or so to upgrade at some point, and get more performance. Your ram is good.

As far as im aware when the next intel core comes out nehlahem, im pretty sure there switching to a new socket as i understand. Which means we will more than likely see the same thing as when amd switched from 939 to am2.

Some things to consider, ddr3 has been out for a while now. Although it doesnt have a real foot hold yet, or much performance gain at this time. It will phase out ddr2. Look at the price per gb of ddr1. It will be awhile but this is whats going to happen to ddr2. Even though i really dont need the extra ram im keeping an eye out for cheaper ram.

Ive never really commented on the individual parts of your build.

HD- this can make a big difference in performance. Spend a bit more and get this instead. Should be faster and spacier.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Mobo Your not going to see much of a performance gain, but id recommend another mobo. When i looked at that mobo, it only got mediocore reviews. Essentialy nothing outstanding.

For single slot graphics card- to keep within the same price range
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130181

For dual gpu, note only crossfire
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138123

Im rambling again.
 
Just to add on to Soul's post...

When Nehalem comes out, 775 isn't going into the dustbin. There's still people who use 478 Celerons and P4s. 775 is huge, it's not going to die easy.

~Gooda~
 
I would agree with going with the WD se 500gig harddrive also if you don't plan on overclocking in the future premium ram isn't needed, you can get the same speed in value kits. Also the last time I saw a sonata case it had a cheap plastic front that turned me off. So I would look at other cases.

A lot of the decision are what you like the look of as well. So don't let your self be staired away unless your happy too.

P.s I'm asus fan for motherboards and always will be. Great tech support and waranty too.
 
Just a quick 2 cents, your going for the e8500, which is good, but buy the e8400 instead. Then, add on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro, and then EASILY overclock your processor to 3.6GHz. (change the fsb to 400) This is the exact setup I have, and it fly's. You now have a faster, cooler processor for around the same price.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top