The Best/ Cheapest Video card Improvement for me?

Silent_Ninja

Poster
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
226
I have a crappy old computer. I'm surprised that it can run TF2, However I'm slowly going to upgrade it step by step and my first step is finding a decent/ cheap video card that can fit my specs.Help?If I need to post anything else in Specs let me know, I'm not to computer smart...


Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 768MB RAM
Page File: 571MB used, 874MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (72Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7519 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/16/2008 14:01:00, 6108928 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 5/16/2008 14:01:00, 6557408 bytes
 
To be honest its hard to suggest spending money on an AGP graphics card, better to save your money and upgrade more all at once.

but if you insist...

for $90-ish with shipping you can get an ATI 3650:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102762

I found an "Open Box" (aka just the card, nothing else) ATI HD2400PRO for about $40 - $45 w/ shipping (depends on where you live):
http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/VT24P256AGP

Any other questions let me know, I'm also in vent almost every night
 
I agree with duality getting an agp is kinda pointless especially when you plan on upgrading your system=card becomes almost useless on newer pci-express mobos. If anything try upgrading your mobo and processor first before you get a video card because the video card will most likely bottleneck if you have a weak system anyway.
 
I agree with duality getting an agp is kinda pointless especially when you plan on upgrading your system=card becomes almost useless on newer pci-express mobos. If anything try upgrading your mobo and processor first before you get a video card because the video card will most likely bottleneck if you have a weak system anyway.

yea...my friend bought a 8800gt coupled with his old school atlon cpu...lag even in source games
 
Source games are very CPU dependent, so a GPU can only increase performance to a certain limit then the bottleneck kicks in.

As thge saying goes a chain can only be as strong as its weakest link. Same goes for computers.
 
If you absolutely NEED to get something better, get some more RAM.
768MB?! Get at least 2 gigs.
 
To be honest its hard to suggest spending money on an AGP graphics card, better to save your money and upgrade more all at once.

Agreed. Save up first. Start making a wishlist on newegg of your completely spec'd out computer with the essentials: Mobo, Ram, Proc, Video card.
 
This is what I think of AGP, and Pentium 4.

They are both dead, they are dead and buried and have turned into fossil fuel.

It's time for a big haul of upgrades.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top