Dilemma...

blizbiggy

Forum Fiend
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
639
So.... after I get some of my college money back, I would like to either upgrade my video card, or get a new laptop.

The video card I want is the 4870x2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161242

OR

I would like to get a kickass laptop for school... Here is what I had in mind

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220348

I will only have enough to get one or the other and I really want both lol...

I am in more need of the laptop (since my current one the screen crapped out and is almost 2 years old) but I would like to also upgrade my video cards (although I already run a nice setup of 2x 3870's and an ageia physics card)

So what do you guys think? go for what i really need, or upgrade my video cards and pwn the framerates of crysis and tf2 :P (and yes i got enough psu to cover the video card)
 
In my opinion get the laptop because you need it. The 4870x2 is nice but if you already have 2 3870s then youll be fine for a while.
 
Definitely get the laptop. The dual 3870's is sweet enough to run any game with decent FPS.

My question is... What kind of laptop are you getting lol?
 
And unless you NEED the laptop, save the money and buy something else.
 
I suggest you get the laptop, since you need it for school as well. Back in college I lugged my desktop around and lemme tell ya, it was not fun.
 
You can go on with those 3870's for a while, get the laptop imo
 
I'm a utilitarian, so the answer is obvious. What gives more utility for the dollar when comparing a high-end video card and a laptop? The laptop of course.

Of course, I'm also a guy that has never spent more than $150 on a graphics card and probably never will, so make of my opinion what you will.

Heck, for the amount of money you are willing to spend on a single component, I can completely rebuild my old system. Actually, I priced my rebuild parts the other day, and they run under $200, so I guess I could rebuild my old system three times.
 
Ah sorry to hear that your laptop broke.

Are you going to be gaming heavily on your laptop? If not, get one of those Eee PC or something. They work great for word processing, browsing the web.
They are DEFINITElY NOT for gaming but they are cheap and great way to do basic needs (I'm getting my mother one for her bday)
 
one of the reasons i plan on getting it is for when I am not doing schoolwork, and im away from home, i can easily take this to game at a friends house and i wont lag to death. here is the specs of the 3650
http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonhd3600/specs.html

Its pretty nice for a laptop, and not over $1000.

My schoolwork will consist of some programming (c++ and some 8-32bit controller programming) and alot of notetaking and presenting. I will also be able to very quickly use our wireless here as for we have N routers and the laptop has 802.11n Wireless LAN. Not only does it have those 2 covered, but i will also be able to have enough space to store everything with a wamping 250gb storage.
 
You really are answering your own question on what to get. I think you've just been blinded by lust for a new graphics card. Do yourself a favor and just get the laptop.
 
I suggest you get the laptop, since you need it for school as well. Back in college I lugged my desktop around and lemme tell ya, it was not fun.


LOLOL..

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT...... that's amazing dude,, seriously...


Edit:

Get the laptop, sell the 3870's ... buy a single 4870 and save for a second one... how's that ?
 
I think you've just been blinded by lust for a new graphics card.

Lol. probally...

Get the laptop, sell the 3870's ... buy a single 4870 and save for a second one... how's that ?


I thought about that too... but i would perfer to just have the 4870x2 since it is cheaper then getting 2x 4870s. I'm a bargain shopper of expensive toys lol.
 
I recommend you check out xoticpc / powernotebooks to build a custom laptop. They have excellent service for great laptops let me see what i can get you for around 1k.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7680-built-clevo-m762tu-p-2412.html?wconfigure=yes
I kinda liked that one, if you have the time just check around make sure you get the best deal, check on slickdeals.net for coupons for hp/dell computers cause i heard the new dell studios are pretty sweet.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=dhs&cs=19&kc=productdetails~laptop_studio_15
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=659092&page=96
 
Last edited:
I recommend you check out xoticpc / powernotebooks to build a custom laptop. They have excellent service for great laptops let me see what i can get you for around 1k.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7680-built-clevo-m762tu-p-2412.html?wconfigure=yes

I'll stick to the one i picked out. 1 year accidental, and 2 year parts and labor (they pay shipping). Bigger HDD, and more ram for about the same price. Plus I want to give AMD a chance this time. :) my broken lappy is intel.
not only that... but the 3650 has a bit better performance then the 9300M GS :)

NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
vs
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top