Building a new PC

Another thing u might need is an antistatic bracelet, if ur doing the build urself, u dont want to mess any hardware with static. just an advice!! Good luck!!:D
 
Another thing u might need is an antistatic bracelet, if ur doing the build urself, u dont want to mess any hardware with static. just an advice!! Good luck!!:D

Is that necessary?

I edited the OP with my final build list, I am going to purchase a CD/DVD drive too so my current PC will still be complete.. if anyone sees a problem/has suggestions please tell me. Thanks to all who helped.

The grand total comes out to $666.88
 
Last edited:
I've never personally found a need for an anti-static bracelet. You just need to remember to touch a bare metal portion of your case before touching any boards or components. Touching bare metal in the case will ground you without the need for anti-static bracelets. Then you just need to handle everything in a way that doesn't come in direct contact with anything that carries current: circuit traces, transistors, capacitors, etc. Always handle boards by the edges and don't touch the connector portions of boards.

Another good thing to do is to always turn off the power supply physically at the switch on the back of it and wait about a minute to let any residual energy drain before you even think about touching anything inside the case.
 
I think that you should get more ram, if not check out frys ads on friday for deals on ram (pc6400) they have some good one like corsair and ocz for really cheap, and also check the motherboard/cpu combos that they have as it would be more convenient to buy instore rather than online (for exchanges).
 
I've never personally found a need for an anti-static bracelet. You just need to remember to touch a bare metal portion of your case before touching any boards or components. Touching bare metal in the case will ground you without the need for anti-static bracelets. Then you just need to handle everything in a way that doesn't come in direct contact with anything that carries current: circuit traces, transistors, capacitors, etc. Always handle boards by the edges and don't touch the connector portions of boards.

Another good thing to do is to always turn off the power supply physically at the switch on the back of it and wait about a minute to let any residual energy drain before you even think about touching anything inside the case.

That will work to, it just that since this is his first build:rolleyes:!!!!
 
Last edited:
i like my evga 780i mobo and would suggest a freshy builder to go with evga. they will hold ur hand threw the whole build. and id suggest a 750wat for ur power supply. and for speed go with a raptor 150gig harddrive. you can get another one for storage. i have 2. one raptor 150 and 1 seagate 750.
 
I saw this Shell Shocker deal that starts on Monday, $80 for a Geforce XFX 8800GS.

I did some research, and from what I understand the 8800GT performs better.. but not by much.

Would it be a good idea to save $40 and go with the GS?

http://promotions.newegg.com/shellshocker/notstarted.html

I have never tried a 8800GT, although I do have a 8800GS. The performance is amazing for the price, although if you plan on playing on higher resolutions with some of the upcoming games, I would suggest you go with the GT.
 
i had sli evga 8800GT SSC EDITION.. the cards are really fast... and they are only 1 slot.. depending on the card you might need to use rivatuner to up the fanspeed on the gt, cuz they can get hot at 29% fan speed... some of the bios for the gt's have a new bios or diff cooler.. like the akimbo edition or whatever.. alot of people just get a duo orb cooler for the gt as well... i have built a few boxes for my friends and i always use the 8800GT, but now that the GTS is so cheap theres no reason to not get the extra cooling.

I think the gt was an awesome card, but i upgraded to 8800gts 512 g92's in sli becuase i wanted the better cooling that comes from the double slot g92 gts card... higher clocks, scales really well too..
 
im just going to tell you to fit as many fans as you can into that case. But be careful! if your fan in turned around and blowing air in the wrong direction youll be blowing hot exhaust back into your case and that = epic phail. good luck.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top