How come I've never heard of this

These days it's not worth it... I've looked into it, unless you build yourself a custom phase change, it's not going to work for the new quad cores. They aren't built powerful enough to deal with the voltage sent to quads.
 
Yeah, also there is a LOT of preparation you have to do to the comp to get it ready for it as well, since it's cooling past ambient temperatures you'll have condensation and whatnot.
 
except they used Liquid N20 in that video... which is far beyond what that machine can do.
 
With most of Intel's chips from the last few years, you can get amazing OC results on nothing but air. I have an E6750 stock 2.66 OC to 3.5 with a nice aftermarket HSF, but it's nothing super special.
 
...you've never heard of them because they cost thousands of dollars (iirc) to build/maintain. They are HUGE, loud, expensive to run, and put a lot of draw on the power grid.

If all you've been running is a stock PC (bought from Dell or something) and haven't touched the inside of a computer (which I suspect), stay FAR away from them. I don't even know how to set one up (very few do, which is why they are expensive), or run one...and I'm a hardcore overclocker...

~Gooda~
 
Brilliant post Havegooda, you hit the nail on it's head

It's only for the top of the top of overclockers wo have an incredible budget, like the guys at tomshardware that broke the world record.

If you want to really cool your computer buy a A-brand CPU cooler or use watercooling (although you have to be very very very carefull with watercooling, i would personally never touch it because with one mistake everything in your PC is worthless, so it's only for the Pro's)
 
Thanks Moracin ;)

Also, they're saying that it's going to be coping with a 200W heat load...a world record breaking overclock will have a heat load higher than that. Not that a higher heat load will raise temps that much...but meh. I don't know why someone would want a small/compact phase change cooler...they're not meant for 24/7 operation, especially with the AMD processors they used in the review. Those things have a problem with cold bugging, though I've heard they have gotten better at it with the most recent chips.

~Gooda~
 

Latest posts

Back
Top