HDMI to DVI question

chrisbliss18

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
616
So I accepted a new job last week, and we got my new system ordered last night. It's a Dell Studio 17 laptop which has VGA and HDMI outputs. I'm also going to use a monitor with the laptop while at the office (E248WF).

I want to be able to use the native resolution of 1920x1200 on the external monitor. Typically, I would use a DVI cable for such a scenario, but the laptop doesn't have that port.

So, my primary question is should I use a VGA cable (can VGA even support that high of a resolution with reasonable refresh rates) or a HDMI to DVI cable?

I understand that some of the HDMI to DVI cables aren't capable of handling the bandwidth necessary to carry the high resolution image at a reasonable refresh rate, so is there a specific type of cable that I should be looking for?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top