Trying to help my friend out

AWPerator

Thread Thumper
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
1,027
She says that her laptop continues to lose connection to the internet every 5 minutes or so, and that shes tried moving her laptop into her sisters room, where her sister gets perfectly fine connection

Any possible reason?
 
AWPerator,

I am pretty sure to assume that it deals with a wirelss confiuration. Most of the time this problem is being caused when there a multiple process trying to control the connection. Try to give me some more details about the brandt of the wireless system (i.e. linksys, etc, or if it is a built in wireless).

I am pretty sure we can solve this.

Cheers,

MenOpaws
 
AWPerator,

I am pretty sure to assume that it deals with a wirelss confiuration. Most of the time this problem is being caused when there a multiple process trying to control the connection. Try to give me some more details about the brandt of the wireless system (i.e. linksys, etc, or if it is a built in wireless).

I am pretty sure we can solve this.

Cheers,

MenOpaws
Completely true, used to happen to me.
It occured when Zero Wireless Configuration and another program such as Netgear Access Point (Something similar to that name) both try to take control of the connection.
 
First off, have you tried a wired connection? If it stays connected for 30 minutes + , then you can be sure it's the wireless.

If you lose network even with solid ethernet, then it points to your network config or your router. It could also be some obscure software: I had a similar problem that I traced to bad VPN software. I uninstalled the Checkpoint VPN software and the problem went away. So you can try uninstalling or disabling software that uses the network. This is rather advanced but -- try opening Windows Services manager (Start - Run - services.msc) and Stop any network or other services that are not required.

If you are sure it's the wireless, try the usual things: put the laptop next to your WAP (wireless access point, or your router), reorient the antennas, reinstall wireless card drivers, retype your WEP or WPA key. Are you using 801.11b, g, or n? Try forcing a lower speed like g or even b to see if it helps.

There are also tweaks you can do on your router but those are manufacturer dependent. What is your router make and model?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top