Buying a new Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nivius Media has a 16 bay chassis designed for this. The problem w/ running 16 TB of data in a single file system is that you run into limits on your... we just about everything. ext3 and similar file systems just don't like that large of a partition and inodes might be a problem if you have too much data.

Break your files into small more manageable segments.

Get a nice PC and then add a MSA1000. I hope you make bank because running one of these at your house will drive your utility bill through the roof. I had a MSA30 at my house for about 3 months and then decided it wasn't worth it.

If you must have everything in "one" drive then I would suggest investing into something like the EMC Centera or another product that does stubbing.

If you really want you can just order everything from HP. I would recommend a DL380G5 w/ 2x4core procs and 32 GB RAM. You can order the MSA and controllers right from there.
 
Did anybody here just feel Deacon's technophilia overwhelm whats left of our brains?

If the answer is yes...then I suggest 5 days of R&R at your local Fry's, BB, or other Computer Outlet Store while your noggin returns to normal function.

If the answer is no...then stay away... high IQ's tend to make average people uncomfortable.
___________________
_________________________________________________

Thanks Deacon for a completely informative if not completely understandable post.

***Backs away slowly***
 
dude.......

now i hate computers..... you make me feel stupid.... this is totally not fair......
 
Did anybody here just feel Deacon's technophilia overwhelm whats left of our brains?

If the answer is yes...then I suggest 5 days of R&R at your local Fry's, BB, or other Computer Outlet Store while your noggin returns to normal function.

If the answer is no...then stay away... high IQ's tend to make average people uncomfortable.
___________________
_________________________________________________

Thanks Deacon for a completely informative if not completely understandable post.

***Backs away slowly***

<GRIN>
Naw... I sat 2 cubes away from our storage architect for 8 years. <shudder> I had to listen to him all the time. (i.e. telling customers that large single volumes are usually a bad thing. It takes too long to backup, i/o errors etc.)

As for the other techno mumbo-jumbo, I basically was saying to buy a server with a separate disk array (HDD)...

You could attach something like this to your server or servers. Then each server could have their own "area" on the shared physical disks.

10245689.JPG


P.S. Knowing about computers and technology doesn't mean you're smart. It means you screw up bigger and better than others. (i.e. killing the power of your 50 closest cube-mates when you monkey w/ power supplies)

-Deac
 
Ok, seriously if you truly got 16TBs you must have alot of money so I say this either buy whatever you need from a computer store cause by the sounds of it you can sure as HELL afford it, so do us a favor stop with this non-sence and only post in here if your intent on buying something and btw why the hell would anyone want to sell/give you anything after you showing off like your better then us infact lets see how much money it would take to get to 16TBs...

$183.95 the cheapest 1TB Drive I can find in Canadain x16

$183.95
x 16 = $2943.20 and thats the cheapest HARDDRIVES!

I vote to lock this thread.
 
Now if you went SCSI the cheapest largest scsi harddrive is $400 US 300GB each times 54 scsi harddrives needed to get alittle over 16tbs comes out to..........

$21,600 that's BEFORE TAX!!!​
 
Last edited:
Hey Joko, I remember you, when I was playin Age of conan you came in talkin about your computer... you were playin games on it.... I also asked you to prove your PC then too if you remember.


Seriously, this thread needs to be locked or moved to like tech talk or something, it has transformed into talkin about tech stuff and not actually trading/buying/selling


I'm sorry but in all honesty, I don't believe anyone will take this thread, or the OP's PC seriously.


Vote lock/move.
 
I'm just trying to get him to spend 100K+ on a game PC :D

Then I can say to my wife... see, I'm not spending THAT much. It's win/win for me.
 
I know I'm late to the party...

1. It's nearly impossible to have 16TB worth of storage on a consumer desktop. Reasons include: 2TB partition limit, SATA power cable limits, SATA data port limit (not enough on mobo), and the largest drives out there are 1TB (1.5TB drives coming soon). There's physically no way they would fit in a case, then you have to find a way to power them/feed data.

2. There's no way that a Xeon can run at 5.8Ghz 24/7. Suicide runs, maybe, depends on the chip, but not 24/7

3. There's no such thing as a 9800GTX2

4. I thought the *awesome* PC was at your brothers work? Then you say it's just a *hub* that is in one of your houses rooms.

5. That's all. I'm off to class.

~Gooda~
 
To keep this from spinning too far out of orbit I'm going to lock the thread.

If you want the HP/CPQ part numbers for the DL380 G5 and MSA30/1000 plus the controllers please PM me.

-Deac
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top