Unknown issues

Bas.B

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
3,734
Hey guys,

First of all, I am not a techie, so if I don't provide necessary info, just post that up and I'll try to find out what you asked :P I'm just hoping for someone to be able to help me.

A few days ago I was playing WoW and all of a sudden my screen displays the game screen, but with vertical blue-speckled stripes over it. A second later my screen went all black. I had had this problem in the past and then I just had to reboot, as I did now. To no avail, I never got the chance to try and log in on my Windows account since I just didn't enter that screen.

After a few minutes waiting I got a blue screen with text on it. I couldn't read all the text because it went away too fast, but the first part said that Windows had been shut down to prevent any permanent damage to my pc. After that the screen went black and stayed that way.

When I turned my pc off and on again, and logged on in safe mode with network options, I could log in on my Windows account, but I still had the vertical stripes. Obviously, gaming is safe mode is not possible so I haven't been able to play since.

Yesterday a friend came over and together we ran the Repair and Recovery cd that was with my Windows Vista package.

Please help! I'm losing all my 5k1llz :P

Thanks, Bas
 
Does anyone have an idea? I'd be really really grateful :D
 
Power off your PC, unplug the AC cord from the power supply, and open up the side of the case. Make sure the video card, and RAM sticks are securely seated in their slots. Reboot.

In safe mode, you said you ran a recovery mode, did that work? When booting, press F8, and try to go to "Last Known Good Configuration". Do the blue lines only happen during the game, or always? If only in game, try reinstalling it. Also, might try reinstalling your video card drivers.
 
What kind of video card do you have? How long have you owned it? Sounds like your video card is going bad or maybe just overheating. You may need to remove your card from your system and clean the fan area out with compressed air. If that doesn't do it, and the card is still under warranty, you might consider RMA'ing it (getting it replaced via the vendor). Keep us updated.
 
Uhm, thanks for the replies :D I'll try all of them out :)
The recovery thing didn't work
The blue lines are always there
I've got an Nvidia 8800GT SSC, for 4-6 months
 
Update: Now when I boot in safe mode with network options I can't log in anymore either... I also tried all the hints and tips you gave me... Please help :(
 
The screen issue sounds like a dodgy graphics card to me, happened on my 7600GT where the RAM on the card went and i had to RMA it. So you might have to return the Graphics card and get a new one. If you have multiple RAM sticks try booting with only 1 in then swap the other as the problem may also be caused by bad RAM, if all else fails try a complete reformat and that may solve the problem.
 
^ I'd suggest drivers as well. Make sure your PSU can handle the 8800GT, I doubt it wouldn't be able to, but meh. Although, if it's been running fine before, I dunno why it'd crap out on you now.

~Gooda~
 
It could be the monitor but I don't think so. I have had this happen alot to me in my WoW days and what I did was get a cooling supply and a new Video Card. This cost me alot. So i would recommend checking the Requirements to play the game.. Hope this helps :D
 

Latest posts

Back
Top