Virus help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acid
  • Start date Start date
A

Acid

Hey guys I ended up getting that stupid virus that downloads itself onto your computer when you browse an internet site. It's that stupid trojan Fakealert.AAF I was able to find the files that were associated with it, which normally had a variation of phcjoet in it. I couldn't delete most of the files, so instead I changed the name of them, restarted, then deleted the files. So now my desktop doesn't change into some stupid alert image, so that problem is resolved. Now though, it seems like some of my admin rights have been changed? I can't get all the information from display in control panel, the one to access my desktop image and screen saver has dissapeared... not to mention that when I look at some websites some things don't load at all, and looks goofy. Also, when I search for something on google then click on it... it sends me to some random page, even easy stuff like gamespot.com... I get sent to either some redirect page, or some movie download page.. any idea what I can do short from reinstalling windows? I don't want to redo my COD4 account and I don't want to redownload everything on this computer...
 
Had a friend that had something very similar, not sure what he ended up doing i will try to contact him.
 
Hey guys I ended up getting that stupid virus that downloads itself onto your computer when you browse an internet site. It's that stupid trojan Fakealert.AAF I was able to find the files that were associated with it, which normally had a variation of phcjoet in it. I couldn't delete most of the files, so instead I changed the name of them, restarted, then deleted the files. So now my desktop doesn't change into some stupid alert image, so that problem is resolved. Now though, it seems like some of my admin rights have been changed? I can't get all the information from display in control panel, the one to access my desktop image and screen saver has dissapeared... not to mention that when I look at some websites some things don't load at all, and looks goofy. Also, when I search for something on google then click on it... it sends me to some random page, even easy stuff like gamespot.com... I get sent to either some redirect page, or some movie download page.. any idea what I can do short from reinstalling windows? I don't want to redo my COD4 account and I don't want to redownload everything on this computer...

First of all, you wouldn't have to redo your CoD4 account, just copy your profile folder and save it on to CD or another hard drive or something similar.

Have you tried running Hijack This? Should solve your webpage hijack problem. As for anything else, I'll Google around and see what I can find on this virus.
 
I had the exact same problem. What i did to fix it was I did a system restore (with windows Vista) and then did a registry scan with registry mechanic. That fixed everything for me. HOPFULLY THAT HELPED!:D
 
Some advice for those pesky fake trojan files that are usually impossible to delete manually. I would suggest trying a file shredder.. I have one that I use and will delete anything even encrypted and zipped items. Heres a site to one if you want to try it... http://www.fileshredder.org
 
Last edited:
Some advice for the trojan files that are usually impossible to delete manually. I would suggest trying a file shredder.. I have one that I use and will delete anything even encrypted and zipped items. Heres a site to one if you want to try it... http://www.fileshredder.org
Won't do anything in most cases.

Trojans usually work when the computer starts up. The Trojan file is made.

Here are thing you can do, manually.

Go into RegEdit and go to

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>Run"

Look at the files. Do any look suspicious?
Do not delete anything though! Believe me, I have and I had to reboot my computer from disk and start from scratch.

The way I would delete Trojans or any other virus that Norton couldn't delete, I would have to do manually.

Research the virus, find out the Registry files it is embedded to and the the it is embedded in also.

Here is the info I gathered
http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-1000377-en--Trojan.FakeAlert.AAF.html

Apparently the threat is low and a virus scanner can delete the Trojan. If not, try it manually by deleting the things in the Technical Description.
 
I got it all figured out... I had to manually change all the names then delete it file by file since it kept telling me I didn't have "the memory" to delete massive amounts of files. Then I ended up using a malware remover that got rid of the rest of the files I couldn't manually find. It's all good now guys thanks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top