Graphics Card Trouble

Kostasi

I made one post
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
12
Hello, friends. I'm running a custom built computer, don't remember all the technical aspects off the top of my head.

But more importantly, my computer runs with two NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 graphics cards. About a month ago, I started getting the good ole BSoD with the error being "nv4_disp is stuck in an infinite loop." Now, nv4_disp reads a lot like a graphics card file, and sure enough there is a nv4_disp.dll in my files.

I try all the basic things, like uninstalling my drivers and updating them, but to no avail. Google yeilds me no worthy results. So I decide I'll take my graphics cards out to see if one or both are faulty. Turns out my computer runs fine with one card but not the other.

Now what I ask of you here is:
1.) Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
2.) If I can't fix it, should I spring for another card?
3.) Is it possible to just have the card itself repaired?

I thank you all for your time, and I hope someone is able to help?
 
Well, to answer your third question - IF you could find some place that would attempt to repair the card, it would most likely cost you as much, if not more, than just replacing it. If the card is still under warranty, you could attempt to RMA it, but if that's not the case, then you're better off just purchasing a new one.

For your second question - that technology is a couple of years old...and looking quickly on the web, you could pick up a single 8800 right now for about $100 less than that card and get better video quality, frame rates, etc. So I wouldn't suggest getting yourself another one of the 7950's. To be honest, the single should run Source games just fine. However, if you're running other games that require better cards, then don't go for that older card - get something newer...I think you'll be a lot happier.

One last comment - it's possible it's not the card, but rather the slot your second card was installed in that is bad. Make sure which part is bad before you try replacing it.
 
Contact Nvidia, on their website you can contact them, I did it once and had a very quick+helpfull response !
 
Thanks for the advice, trykael. I've been considering an 8800 for a couple of weeks now. I do like to try and keep my computer up to date. But I never considered the it may be the PCI slot that is bad. I'll have to test it out soon. Again, thanks for the advice.

I'm considering contacting Nvidia very soon if I decide not to update to the 8800. Thanks for the feedback.
 
i would just buy the 8800. I recommend BFG. I have never delt with a better hardware company.
 
No offense, man, but the 7950GX2 cards aren't the best thing. Your practically running 4 video cards with two of these installed. What brand are your cards? Did you register them when you bought them? They might still be under warranty. I'd definitely upgrade, if possible. As for brands of nVidia cards, I'd recommend in this order:

1. EVGA
2. BFG
3. XFX/MSI

After that, well...blah!

Can you post the specs of your rig? You might also make a post over at nVNews.net about your problem/situation. I've been a member over there since June of '04.

Oh, uninstall your current drivers, reboot. Run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.com, reboot. Install latest (most current) drivers for your card via nvidia.com.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top