looking for a new headset

acefisher1

Thread Thumper
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
1,026
So I built a new gaming rig and i've been playing for awhile on it now. I realized how much I need a headset again. I was looking all over my town for someone that had the Razer headsets in stock but no one has them.

I don't really want to order so does anyone have any comments on logitech headsets or any other recommendations I could find at a wal-mart, target, or best buy? Also, anyone have anything to say about which not to buy?
 
So I built a new gaming rig and i've been playing for awhile on it now. I realized how much I need a headset again. I was looking all over my town for someone that had the Razer headsets in stock but no one has them.

I don't really want to order so does anyone have any comments on logitech headsets or any other recommendations I could find at a wal-mart, target, or best buy? Also, anyone have anything to say about which not to buy?

Personally - I like Plantronics headsets. Pretty sturdy, nice looking, and killer sound.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/pc-gaming-headsets

I've bought them more than once. Never felt ripped off.

Logitech - their headsets are all about looks - not performance. :| IMO, they should stick to what they do best - making good mice.
 
I am also steelseries all the way, having tried ALL models recently at the UK's largest LAN party I have still got to say, the SteelSeries Siberia ones are still the best!
 
I'm really super-happy with the Creative Fatl1ty gaming headset I bought a few weeks ago - it's really light, so I barely know it's there, and while it doesn't breathe around the ears the best (it's circumaural) the padding is felted so it doesn't get sweaty and nasty.

The mic is detachable, too. Only downside is that the mic is required to attach on the left side.
 
I would recommend Tritton 5.1 gaming headeset. It has an optical connection or the 5.1 green orange and black connector. Detachable mic boom and they are comfy. The 5.1 sound is nice.
 
by far the most popular monitoring headphones ever are the Sony MDR-7506's. Everyone uses them cause simply put the are the best flattest response there is. What this means is, they are the most accurate at representing the original material. For those audiophiles. They are awesome. If you are really an audiophile, then get Grotto headphones. I wouldn't ever get those "gaming" headphones. But I work in sound, so I have to get audio headphones.
 
razer's mic SUCKS, useless piece of plastic poking you in the face

steel series, creative fatality (ify), or any senhiser with mic
 
I got the AudioFX Pro 5+1 gaming headset. Its claim to fame is it was "designed" by Ben Heck but it ain't all that.

It is supposed to have force feedback and 5.1 sound. The 5.1 sorta works -- you can hear sounds behind you but they always sound *right* behind you -- and the force feedback works if you crank it up loud enough to make your eardrums bleed. I don't like that idea so I never get the force feedback. So I paid extra money just for the 5.1 sound. Overall it's a decent headset but not worth the money.

I got it because I wanted surround sound in a USB headset (remember USB headsets use their own sound drivers, so that expensive soundblaster card gets you nada). Out of the box it was so tight it gave me a headache and the mic had so much background hum no one could hear anything I said. It took some careful bending of the headband and a lot of experimentation to make it usable. Even with the output at max the mic is really quiet and still has some background hum. The company tech support was no help at all, they were eager to RMA it for some reason.
 
Take a look at this one from Newegg. using our link of course ( Logitech 980445-0403 )

I use those currently and they are awesome. Price is decent and performance is of a heat set that cost twice as much.

Israel.
 
I've got Plantronics headphones .. 2nd pair and no complaints (I'd still have my first pair, except I ran over the cord with the wheels on my chair 1 too many times ;) )

Ones I've got are noise canceling, although they don't quite act like ear plugs, they deffinatly dim down any outside noise and give you that "in the zone" approach. ;)
 
i actually got mine from best buy yesterday, but the razer barracuda headset is extremely nice. full 5.1 sounds support and a detachable microphone. also the cand rotate a full 180 degrees which is really nice for storing them upright. just make sure you have a good enough sound card.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top