suggestions and advices..new gaming PC

paquitox

Thread Junky
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
770
So here's the deal, for the las few months Ive been doing some research for parts to put on my new PC, am building it myself so if anyone can give me some advices, really appreciated!!
I narrow the parts to this 2 lists, the first list its the one am not gonna change, i post them so u would have some idea of what i want:
1. Motherboard: EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard
2. PSU: Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply
3. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor BX80562Q6700 - 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan
The case is the Antec 900.
Now this are the parts that I could use some advice:
4. GPU: XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra Video Card - 768MB DDR3
5. HD: Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
6. RAM: Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz
If ur wondering my intentions are to install Vista ultimate(32), buf if someone has a better choice, glad to hear it!!
thnks!!:)
 
Lookin' sick.

My only suggestion for you: Pump more cash into a Core 2 DUO instead of a Quad. You'll get more brute strength for the buck = better for your game.

( I'd personally get an Asus motherboard, but that's just my personal bias. Your choice is fine IMO. )

IF money's an issue (looks like it's probably not) - knock your PSU down to like 850 - and put the cash into CPU instead.

---

Deskstars are great HDs - I've had one in the past and I loved it. It rocked. Thing was built like a tank. After years of 24/7 use It sounded like a car with a busted engine - but it still powered up and ran like a charm - never a bad sector. :) Deskstars are born of server gear (Ultrastar) - reliability is what they're built for.

Corsair +1. Very good mem. Might try Mushkin Redline if you like. - http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/performance/ - I run Mushkin, very satisfied with it.

OS - I'd suggest sticking with XP. ;) More power for your game, less for M$ lame - Also, Vista bashing aside - SOMETHING ELSE TO REALLY CONSIDER - if you DIDN'T buy Ultimate, I'd hold out with XP till the next windows comes out. It's supposed to be SOON.
 
Last edited:
8800, well go with 2x Nvidia 9600GT or an ATi Card if you dont plan on xfire such as the 4850,4870 or 4870X2, ati cards are way better for the buck than nvidia's

9600GT though is a really great and reliable card, have one my self, but prob gonna go over to ATI

C2D E8400 3Ghz pwns can OC to 3.6 w/o nonstock cooling

Also go with 4gbs, though Vista runs fine on 2gb, might as well just pay like 40$ more or so for another 2gb
 
Last edited:
8800, well go with 2x Nvidia 9600GT or an ATi Card if you dont plan on xfire such as the 4850,4870 or 4870X2, ati cards are way better for the buck than nvidia's

Meh. SLI is overrated. 2x the price for 125% performance? Bleh.

I'd shell for a better video card: GTX 260 > 2x cheap cards - and about the same price too.

1 good part is ALWAYS better than 2 mediocre parts.

---

I'd try ATI again, but maybe after their cards start having real drivers.

(seriously - has AMD fixed that? That was ATI's biggest weakness since ... forever.)
 
Last edited:
Changes i'd make:

PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V ($155) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

I wouldnt bother using anything from Ultra. Tagan/SilverStone/PC Power and Cooling are the only 3 i would even look at.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R ($130) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

If you're going with an Intel CPU, might as well pair it with the best chipsets Intel has to offer.

GPU: VisionTek HD4870 ($280) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

Fantastic GPU at the present. Coupled with your P45 chipset motherboard and PC Power and Cooling PSU, you can also CrossFire with a second HD4870 down the road. :)
 
I like your choice of the 8800 Ultras I used to have them in Tri-SLi they are great cards. I'd rather go with a Core 2 Duo Chip such as the E8400 with a stock speed of 3.0GHZ with overclocking abilities to about 4.6 GHz i have mine at 4.3 Ghz.
 
Never buy a CPU based on how they'll overclock. There's no gurantee that just because one person can push it an extra 800Mhz, you'll do the same.

The Q6700 is fine. Keep it. :)
 
Changes i'd make:


Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R ($130) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

If you're going with an Intel CPU, might as well pair it with the best chipsets Intel has to offer. :)
I will chek them out.

Thanks a lot guys, one thing I should point out before, its about the cpu, cause a lot of u said I should get the core 2 duo, am a computer programing student and I do a lot of multitasking, i was told the quad where better for that.
really appreciated all the feedback!!!:D
 
I agree with your decision to stick with the quad-core Paquitox. It may not show the big numbers that a higher-clocked dual core can present, but you'll be really happy with it when you can process video while you're compiling while you're gaming ;-)
 
ya you might want to look at skulltrail. It has two CPU sockets and support SLI and Crossfire. I have it and it holds 2 quad core. That mean I have 8 cpu. But the mobo is 350 $ just take a look at it.
 
Last edited:
I think the ati radeon 4870 is still a better card than that. If you wanna do something get the 4870x2 like milwakee has.

Other than that pretty solid pc. I dont know how much your spending on that q6700 but check out this quad it look a little better i think. Its also a little more expensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

Quad core doesn't give much more when it comes to games, it's better to buy a good duo-core.. also, one 4870x2 is cheaper then 2 4870's... you'd better go with one of those then.
 
vista needs 4 gigs, and the 32 bit reads more than 3.33 gigs since sp1 :)

stick with quad and overclock that bad boy :)

asus is rock solid but 've had equally good luck w/ evga as well

good luck :D
 
Yeah am thinkin of getting 2more gigs later, but Ill stay with 32bit for now.
thnks for the help guys:)
 
beastly build, but i agree with everyone else, getting a dual-core would probably be your best bet for now.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top