Need Help Asap, Massive Virus Infection

Pepaw

Thread Junky
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
788
Hey guys, I know I haven't been around in forever, but here's the deal.

I turned on my computer the other day to find that the background had been changed to a white background with a fake pop up about "Spyware XP 2008" or something like that. I right clicked and went to properties to change it, but the desktop background tab had been somehow taken off. Every time I click my computer, my documents, or try to open ANY FOLDER, I get a message saying "Runtime error explorer.exe" I researched this to see if this was the problem (ANOTHER problem is when i search on google and click a link, it takes what i searched and goes to a random cheapo search site noone has ever heard of and gives me adds and pop ups, i have to copy the link it gives me and paste it, which is a hassle). I found some help on microsoft.com or something, telling me exactly what to do. It said I had to download some spyware scanners. But this virus or whatever it is is smart. Whenever I try to go to any spyware or virus removing software site, it says "Browser failed to connect to this particular site".

There are many other ways my computer limits me from doing things, and it takes hours of doing roundabout things to get a simple action done. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to do much of my work on my computer, and this is getting ridiculous. I figured some of the eGO guys could help. Thank you.

-PJ
 
www.avast.com

Download that, run a boot-time scan, then do a full system scan. Everything should be clean after that. Avast is one of the best (if not the) free antivirus programs out.

~Gooda~
 
Um Trend just got nailed for sending a valid important windows file to quartine so stay away for a while.
 
Thanks for the help guys. I tried everything, but it didn't work. Thanks specialist for offering your personal help. but this time I couldn't solve it. I had to call in the cavalry. Geeksquad was able to help me for a measly 169.99

...but at least I'm up and running again.

Thanks a ton.

-PJ
 
Thanks for the help guys. I tried everything, but it didn't work. Thanks specialist for offering your personal help. but this time I couldn't solve it. I had to call in the cavalry. Geeksquad was able to help me for a measly 169.99

...but at least I'm up and running again.

Thanks a ton.

-PJ

If you were going to go with GeekSquad i could have given you all the software tools that they use to fix a computer.... I am ex-GeekSquad...
 
$170? Seriously? Oh PJ, what're we ever gonna do with you!
 
Holy crap you got ripped.

Just for that measly spyware infection? :\

I've solved problems for friends - never charged more than $50 - and I'm a *real* pro, not some geeksquad person.

If I went and charged someone near $200 for removing a spyware, I'd consider it theft.
 
Yea, You could have just bought a flash drive from amazon or ebay for a cheap prize back up ur data.. boot ur OS CD and then yahoo! a new format is a new start!
 
The problem with companies like geeksquad is they know people will pay that money to get their problems fixed. They prey on people who are desperate, don't know any better, or both.

This is why I am a huge supporter of partitions on hard drives. I keep windows and regular apps on one drive and everything else on different partitions. If something like this happens, it makes formatting a lot less of a headache if it comes to that.

$170 to remove spyware, that is just a ridiculous overcharge.
 
The problem with companies like geeksquad is they know people will pay that money to get their problems fixed. They prey on people who are desperate, don't know any better, or both.

This is why I am a huge supporter of partitions on hard drives. I keep windows and regular apps on one drive and everything else on different partitions. If something like this happens, it makes formatting a lot less of a headache if it comes to that.

$170 to remove spyware, that is just a ridiculous overcharge.

I agree with you DEMODER
 
I wish you guys would stop the bashing.

Listen to what he says, he could not open ANY virus disabling program, he MUST work on his computer, and he MUST get it fixed soon.If you rely on your computer for a job then you would pay money to get it fixed.
 
No obscene language or expletives here on the forums.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you guys would stop the bashing.

Listen to what he says, he could not open ANY virus disabling program, he MUST work on his computer, and he MUST get it fixed soon.If you rely on your computer for a job then you would pay money to get it fixed.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't bashing him. I am bashing qeeksquad for taking advantage of people. I'm glad he got his computer fixed, I just feel bad he had too pay way more money than he should have for it.
 
I know that you paid da freeksquad and they removed spyware but just incase someone else runs into this problem and need answer

Go to the following URL download rougefix.bat and run it in safe mode
"XP only"


Roguefix
 
Yea ouch 170, fomatting would have been free and you could've had the self-satisfaction of doing it yourself.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top