TF2 Soundloop Freeze with Vista

Shelly de Killer

I made one post
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Messages
15
Posted something similar to this a long whiles back, no luck on a solution. Figured I would try again.

Whenever I load a second map, the server info box turns white, I get a replaying sound, and cannot click "continue". I found a fix awhile back that had me using the taskmanager to end the process "GameOverlayUI", which worked for awhile but then inexplicably stopped working.

So it is really inconvenient having to crl+alt+del out of TF2 just so I can end it and then restart the game. Any help at all relating to this would be oh-so-appreciated:):):):)

My Specs: Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU [email protected] GHZ
4.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Tried it, as well as enabling compatibility mode for Windows XP Service pack 2. No noticeable difference : /
 
That used to happen to me when I was running out of memory, but you have 4GB, it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have page filing enabled?

~Gooda~
 
It sounds you have a runtime error. This means that at some point the program waits for a response, but does not get the appropriat signal back and "hangs" (this is what's causing your sound to stay in a loop). The first suspect I would think to be your video drivers. I had a similar problem and was able to fix it by going to
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ (this site was recommended by NVIDIA) and download the latest driver for your card.

GL

MenOpaws

P.S. even though it says 'laptopvideo' in the URL, they also have all the drivers for regular desktop cards.
 
Last edited:
MenOpaws....how would I go about locating what drivers I need exactly for my card? Using the nVidia page I downloaded the "GeForce Release 178", but it could not locate anything that needed upgrading.
 
Interesting .. How about SP1 for vista..
I always had steam problems before SP1
Im not sure if that will work but its worth a try
 
MenOpaws....how would I go about locating what drivers I need exactly for my card? Using the nVidia page I downloaded the "GeForce Release 178", but it could not locate anything that needed upgrading.

Give me the model of your video card, and what driver versiojn are you running now?
 
thespecialist: I have SP1, I'll go ahead and edit my original post.

MenOpaws: Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS

Driver version: 7.15.11.6746
 
thespecialist: I have SP1, I'll go ahead and edit my original post.

MenOpaws: Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS

Driver version: 7.15.11.6746

Ok, you are running a laptop, this is no problem, I run a laptop with the 8600M GT. I had problems too, until I updated my driver through this site I gave earlier in this thread. Are you running XP or Vista? I assume you run Vista, based on the model GPU you use.

Send me an e-mail to [email protected], and I send you a working driver back. The problem is if you download a driver from Nvidia, it tells you the driver is not correct for you hardware (which is not true), but this restriction is implemented by the manufacturer of the laptop (give me the model for that to if you will). I have an ASUS VX2S Lamborghini and it did the same thing to me when trying to update the driver through Nvidia !bang. Currently I run drv 7.15.11.6912 which is a newer version from the one you are using, and this is for a 64 bit OS if you run 32bit then I am sure there is an even newer version for that.
Also I need to know if you run the 32 or 64 bit version. You can respond either through here, or give me the info in an e-mail, what ever you feel like.

Talk to you later,

MenOpaws
 
My email is [email protected]
I'll go ahead and email you as well, just to make sure you get this.
Even more specifics:
Manufacture: Gateway
Model: P-172X FX
System type: 32-bit Operating System
And yes, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium
 

Latest posts

Back
Top