Amazing problem

Tylantt

Famous
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
496
Hey guys, i've recently been having problems when running anything. I can still run games, watch videos ect. But it's choppy. Whenever I move my mouse, my CPU goes from 0% to 100%. I've replaced the mouse, still having problems, I've checked my bios and everything looks okay. Can anyone suggest anything?

CPU: amd athlon 3400+
RAM: 2.5g DDR 337mhz
GPU: Nvidia 9600gt XFX XXX edition
Mouse/keybored G5/G15
 
i would reformat and reinstall windows, other than that, i dont really know... virus?
 
Its time for a new computer DDR 337mhz Ram? LOL even my old P4 has 533mhz ram, your computer = epic fail. Just build a new computer, left4dead will run well and you didn't have to cancel your pre order.
 
When you replaced the mouse was it the same model/brand? Might re-install logitech's set point if you are using it.
 
The only thing I can think of is the polling rate on your usb got jacked up - 'course that only matters if you're using a usb mouse. You can easily peg out your cpu if the polling is too high.
 
hows your cpu when you are running vids and such? does that spike to 100% too? because then it would be a virus because i had that same thing. if it doesnt, then i dont know.

but yea, building your own comp is not that much, like 500-600 dollars can get you a pretty good built. time to upgrade man :)
 
Okay, no virus has been found. I went from Razer Lachesis to Logitech G5, building a new computer would be a while.. i'm broke. So, I think it has something to do with my USB ports. I reformated like a month ago, do not want to go through that nightmare again. My CPU usage when watching a video is like 30% until I move my mouse, then it hits 100%
 
Last edited:
You can buy a USB to PS/2 connector for cheap if you really think it's your USB ports or the mouse. From personal experience and from building computer for a few years now, I think the problem is more hardware related rather than input device. Do you get any errors or do you have a ton of background programs running? Check your CPU temps too- you might even want to try putting some heat-spread paste like Arctic Silver on the CPU (remove the old first). Make sure your fans and case are clean as well- I've seen (more times than I'd like to mention) CPUs crash and burn at the hands of dust/dead fans. Even got to see a fire once because someone let the dust build up to 1/4 inch on the heatsink (duh !bang). Hope this helps- if you still have problems, send me a PM so I can get some more details from you about your specs and configuration. It's hard to determine cause without getting the full specs.

Update: Your video card is slotted for PCIe 2.0 and is not compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots (standard term is PCI-Express 16). I would bet money that if you are running a 754 socket processor (such as yours), your vid slot is only a 1.0 since the PCIe 2.0 wasn't released until 2007. This could be a main cause for your problems.
 
Last edited:
Update: Your video card is slotted for PCIe 2.0 and is not compatible with PCIe 1.0 slots (standard term is PCI-Express 16). I would bet money that if you are running a 754 socket processor (such as yours), your vid slot is only a 1.0 since the PCIe 2.0 wasn't released until 2007. This could be a main cause for your problems.

Negative. 2.0 cards will work with no issues in 1.0 slots, just at lower bandwidth...
 
my best guess would be to System Restore till the last time you were in "Good Status" or Reformat...

Reformatig is good and bad....
 
Just a quick thought but hit CTRL ALT DET and check in processes and see if spoolsv is taking ur usage
 
Some suggestions:
- defrag hard drive, especially C:
- update / reinstall mouse drivers
- update / reinstall mobo chipset drivers (make sure it covers your USB controller)
- try same thing in safe mode
- try different USB port, preferably different set of ports if you have more than one (e.g. front port instead of rear port or vice versa)
- try a PS2 mouse
- change mouse pointer? maybe it's a corrupted graphic ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top