Map making

Slicerer

Rookie
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
76
So before i got started on Steam, i used to have a game called Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. It was a game that used the obsolete Quake 3 engine. During those fun-filled years, i got interested in map making, and so i decided to learn how.

I only made one map. but when i showed it to my friends they were floored. They loved it, not because it was so complex, but because of how different it was.

The map's setting was on an old, abandoned space station in the middle of deep space. I decided i wanted to have the most realistic lighting ever, but in a different sense. I looked at other maps and thought of how fake the lighting was in space. Usually in deep space, it's friken dark right.

So i made my map almost completely dark, save for a couple of lights, which i decided should come from lamps and the sort.

Now im thinking of also making maps for Source mods and games. If anyone here can point me in the right direction of the tools i need to make a good, that would be great.

And i hope the program is similar to GTK Radiant.

{If this topic is in the wrong spot completely, then please move to the appropiate spot on the forums}

Thanks
-The Slicerer
 
Source SDK under Tools, and the program is Hammer.

PM me if you need any more help setting it up
 
Well I have never used GTK Radiant before but a good tool for Source game map making is Source SDK. To access it go to ur Steam interface and click the Tools tab near the top. After loading it load up Valve Hammer Editor. Before though make sure your engine version is set to Episode 1 and game (whatever game you want). For the Orange Box games click on Orange Box in the engine version. For a lot of tips on the mapping part go to www.fpsbanana.com and look at tutorials there. If you also want help add me Pasty_Gangsta on steam and I'll be glad to help :)
 
I will warn you that source and some other editors are different, but I am not familiar with the quake 3 engine's map program. Even so, need help, you have good ol Rogue Sniper, me, and anyone else who is willing to help.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top