- Joined
- Jul 30, 2008
- Messages
- 589
I have been looking to get a new set of headphones/headset for my PC. They will be used mostly for gaming, but also some music and other.
First thing I wanted to know is if anyone has any experience with 5.1 headsets? I would very much like surround, at least some form of it if possible.
My two choices there boil down to headphones that either have all the speakers or get a set that does dolby headphone processing in some way to simulate the surround sound. I am very curious about dolby headphone because I know for the same price of a 5.1 set of headphones I can get a stereo pair that sounds much nicer (just without surround sound). Now I know all the arguments about how we only have two ears so therefore theoretically we should be able to reproduce surround sound with just two speakers. I dont want to hear it. I just want to get opinions of both people who have used 5.1 sets as well as dolby headphone sets in surround mode.
A few options I have been considering.
Medusa 5.1 Home Edition: "True" 5.1 headset with mic $108 USD
http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-home-edition-p-876.html?osCsid=12bbeaa815ef26d13c0ec37ffb8aceef
Then I was considering getting a headphone amp/Dolby Headphone encoder box and using a nicer pair of stereo headphones
Astro Gaming A40 System: A40 Mixamp - Headphone Amp/DD Decoder/Dolby Headphone encoder with, A40 Headset - Stereo Headset. $249 for the combination.
Or, the Mixamp can be purchased seperately and used with other stereo headphones $129
http://astrogaming.com/
JVC SU-DH1 Surround Processor: Just as it says, a surround sound processor, can process DD, DTS and process it into Dolby Headphone. Battery powered unfortunately, $99
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428459-REG/JVC_SUDH1_SU_DH1_5_1_Surround.html
Sennheiser HD-555 Headphones: Open ear stereo headphones. Supposed to produce excellent sound $98
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228497367&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228497367&sr=8-1[/ame]
Sennheiser HD-595 Headphones: A step up from the HD-555s, sound quality again supposed to be excellent, and totally worth the price. $180
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVE0/ref=s9sdps_c1_23_at1-rfc_g1-frt_g1-3237_g1_si4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1R20BEZD11H835F1STPQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVE0/ref=s9sdps_c1_23_at1-rfc_g1-frt_g1-3237_g1_si4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1R20BEZD11H835F1STPQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]
So those are my options, either a dedicated 5.1 set, like the medusas, or a high quality stereo set with a Dolby Headphone encoder.
I have heard good things about the medusas, but bad things about potential customer service and quality control issues.
I would rather go for a quality stereo pair and a dolby headphone encoder. I have no experience though with dolby headphone and I would really like surround effects when I game. I have read good things about dolby headphone but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience using it.
Suggestions and comments about the selections would be greatly appreciated.
First thing I wanted to know is if anyone has any experience with 5.1 headsets? I would very much like surround, at least some form of it if possible.
My two choices there boil down to headphones that either have all the speakers or get a set that does dolby headphone processing in some way to simulate the surround sound. I am very curious about dolby headphone because I know for the same price of a 5.1 set of headphones I can get a stereo pair that sounds much nicer (just without surround sound). Now I know all the arguments about how we only have two ears so therefore theoretically we should be able to reproduce surround sound with just two speakers. I dont want to hear it. I just want to get opinions of both people who have used 5.1 sets as well as dolby headphone sets in surround mode.
A few options I have been considering.
Medusa 5.1 Home Edition: "True" 5.1 headset with mic $108 USD
http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-home-edition-p-876.html?osCsid=12bbeaa815ef26d13c0ec37ffb8aceef
Then I was considering getting a headphone amp/Dolby Headphone encoder box and using a nicer pair of stereo headphones
Astro Gaming A40 System: A40 Mixamp - Headphone Amp/DD Decoder/Dolby Headphone encoder with, A40 Headset - Stereo Headset. $249 for the combination.
Or, the Mixamp can be purchased seperately and used with other stereo headphones $129
http://astrogaming.com/
JVC SU-DH1 Surround Processor: Just as it says, a surround sound processor, can process DD, DTS and process it into Dolby Headphone. Battery powered unfortunately, $99
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428459-REG/JVC_SUDH1_SU_DH1_5_1_Surround.html
Sennheiser HD-555 Headphones: Open ear stereo headphones. Supposed to produce excellent sound $98
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228497367&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228497367&sr=8-1[/ame]
Sennheiser HD-595 Headphones: A step up from the HD-555s, sound quality again supposed to be excellent, and totally worth the price. $180
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVE0/ref=s9sdps_c1_23_at1-rfc_g1-frt_g1-3237_g1_si4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1R20BEZD11H835F1STPQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FTVE0/ref=s9sdps_c1_23_at1-rfc_g1-frt_g1-3237_g1_si4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1R20BEZD11H835F1STPQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]
So those are my options, either a dedicated 5.1 set, like the medusas, or a high quality stereo set with a Dolby Headphone encoder.
I have heard good things about the medusas, but bad things about potential customer service and quality control issues.
I would rather go for a quality stereo pair and a dolby headphone encoder. I have no experience though with dolby headphone and I would really like surround effects when I game. I have read good things about dolby headphone but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience using it.
Suggestions and comments about the selections would be greatly appreciated.







