Over clock on a laptop?

blackhawksniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
6,861
I was wondering how smart it would be to overclock a laptop. I have a gaming laptop from cyberpower with a dual core intel. It already gets pretty hot, atleast the exhaust does, but Im getting a cooling station for it. Any suggestions?
 
Not too smart...


Laptops run hotter than desktops to begin with but by overclocking your seriously risking frying the components.
 
yeah me personally, even with the cooling station, wouldnt overclock the laptop. too much risk with heat, especially if its hot right now
 
Most (if not all) overclocking is done in the BIOS, and the several laptops I've owned haven't even had options for OC'ing. Overall, yes, bad idea.
 
Unless you put tons of dry ice on the bottom. No, my cousin's laptop runs hotter than my computer (probably up to 70 C...).
 
My gateway runs at about 150 C which is insanely hot even with the radiator pack on it.

That being said, never overclock a laptop, the fan and coolant system just can't handle the power.
 
i agree w/ all the above people. its not a smart idea not to mention that if your notebook is under warranty & it crashes, the maker of the notebook can fix it & can check the bios & will most likely notice the changes to the notebook. the reason that people overclock pc's is cause there is more room inside of them not to mention that pc's dont get as hot as notebooks do (well some pc's dont). if u really wanna oc somethin, i would suggest oc'in a pc (if you have 1 for gaming). also blackhawk, we have multiple threads bout oc'in a pc if you need help w/ that. im def gonna be oc'in my cpu here soon (just gonna get my new memory here soon).
 
I do not know the specs of your laptop but you said its a dual core and i imagine it is at least 2.0+Dual. so for a laptop that is good enough, No need to overclock even if there an option.
You can not give a laptop the same treatment as a desktop. The hardware is build so compact and you may harm the parts,not to mention void any warranty you may have and the heat.
I have 2.1 dual core,8800GTS,4Gig Ram,7200RPM HD,20.1"CLD all this in Laptop and there is no option to overclock this baby.And I think it is for a good reason.... It is a powerful system already that you can travel around.
Post your laptop specs so we can know what you have.
Also ask your self, what is 300-400 Mhz anyway in a dual core laptop? Not worth the risk for such little benefit,specially if you are doing it just for gamin.But if you are rich and care not for money be my guess and experiment...lol
I Hope this can help you making up your mind.

Peace.

Servant
 
Last edited:
My gateway runs at about 150 C which is insanely hot even with the radiator pack on it.

That being said, never overclock a laptop, the fan and coolant system just can't handle the power.

How that computer hasn't committed suicide...I don't know.

While it's possible to OC a laptop, it's generally a bad idea. I OCed my GFX card, but I was folding, so it wasn't for just an extra FPS or two, and I had the intake fan right next to my AC duct. Still got bloody hot though.

~Gooda~
 
Unless you get some mad cooling like I had for my laptop..

Although this mad cooling involved placing a small fan (Similar to the setup that I run behind my desktop...) between my knees, thus blowing cool air directly to the computer.

Even then, the heat might still prove to be your downfall. If you're going to overclock, just do it as you're about to get a new one, just so you can see the effects of overclocking on laptops.

Make sure you have fire hydrants handy.
 
How that computer hasn't committed suicide...I don't know.

While it's possible to OC a laptop, it's generally a bad idea. I OCed my GFX card, but I was folding, so it wasn't for just an extra FPS or two, and I had the intake fan right next to my AC duct. Still got bloody hot though.

~Gooda~


It has.

It's burnt out 4 motherboards six video cards and countless screens.

Waste of 1800 dollars.
 
I was wondering how smart it would be to overclock a laptop. I have a gaming laptop from cyberpower with a dual core intel. It already gets pretty hot, atleast the exhaust does, but Im getting a cooling station for it. Any suggestions?

It's totally fine, AS long as you have a cooling system that works. I've got a buddy who would use a single processor laptop, a gaming laptop with almost max overclock and ran perfect. I don't recommend going full blast though.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top