How to search for Non custom servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkFish

Rookie
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
51
Hiya guys.

I found out there are about 20 guys at our corporation who plays DoD! So talked to them and they said pretty much anyone getting many kills in servers allowing custom skins is just using cheats... and of course is undetectable unless cheater actually takes screenshot and shows others. And oddly enough, the guys at my work said they practiced playing by using cheats first (Download from FPS Banana) , then started playing in servers that doesn't allow custom skins..

So I want to play in servers that does not allow any custom skins, but I do not know how to search them or to check if they do not allow it?? I don't really want to play in servers that allow custom skins, unless I am using them too =(. I see the cheats in FPS Banana and I don't want to use them.. but knowing people can, it bothers me and I really want to find servers that will not allow them.. Plz help I want to play DoD.
 
whats a corndog doin under the sea?!

I love your name...


what exactly is our policy with custom skins (guns flags sounds etc) are they strictly prohibited or allowed on our servers?
 
I have yet to hear anything about prohibition of Custom skins on our servers and custom skins are not illegal nor are they used for cheating nor can the be used for cheating I.E. Hit boxes do not conform to skins nor do weapons become better due to skins. It is however cal illegal due to the possibility but from all the skins I have used I have yet to find anything that makes them advantageous, I have how ever noticed that they do lower fps in exchange for looking cool.
 
U can download skins for:
1) Brightly colored skins to see enemy easier (as in bright red for german skins)

2) Transparent walls (I saw this on FPS Banana, but they took it down, then back up, then took down again...)

3) Very long sniper rifle (Can't find on FPS Banana any more, i did see couple of recognizable ego names leaving comments on FPS Banana bout this... this is used to find out where snipers are easier)

4) UnlitGeneric shaders (this one, u do not download it but in forums of FPSBanana, people told me that u can just type that in a file and objects don't get darkers when going into shader... Basically, the lighting does not affect this object, and will stay the same weather u are in bright or dark room. The crosshair uses this shader by default.

5) Sniper crosshairs (gets rid of the opaque black ring that only shows a circular area with crosshair.. I think ALL of FPSBanana custom crosshair for scopes gets rid of the darkness that covers the vision.

Every single one of these can NEVER be caught, unless someone takes their screenshot and posts it online. I did complain in FPSBanana that these "custom skins" are more like cheats, and the responses were that I shouldn't play in custom skin servers if I don't want people using their skins....I still want to play in EgO servers when there are not many people. But mainly I want to try out other servers to play in that does not allow anyone to use custom skins. Anyone can google it and get "custom cheat skins", that are not considered cheats but custom skins. I just want to try out something fair.

You've NEVER seen a custom skin that can give you advantage????? Have you been to ANY DoD Custom Skins webpages???? I haven't seen one DoD Custom skin website that DIDN"T have a bright red/blue skin for soldier models. These are not HACKS, they are just custom skins. Transparent walls are just skins too. Skins do not affect the physics or system of the game, but changes how you look at stuff. If you are playing in a server that allows custom skins, and u get sniped on the head, through a wall... it is possible that the sniper has the walls transparent skin for the wall.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/
 
Last edited:
Well then the issue arises that it is impossible to play on a server that people are not using custom skins unless the server has its own set of skins that it forces you to use. This being that skins are client side not server side. That's why when you use a custom skin that only you can see them. So in conclusion as stated before the only way to play in a server that does not allow custom skins is to play in a server that uses custom skins that way everyone has to undergo the same download and are forced to use the same skins.(If I'm wrong in any of these assumptions tell me because I have not heard otherwise)
 
Oh and another thing when you said the transparent walls one im pretty positive that is a spam spot map. meaning that map is used for cal teams to find spots in which they can shoot though the walls to inflict damage unto their opponents, this however being a map can only be used if the map itself is on the server. Maps are Server side if you ever connect to a server that is using a different map then the one in your map folder it will not allow you to connect to the server. Your map and the servers map must match perfectly to be allowed to play.
 
Too Tall,

1) Transparent walls:
- The maps must be the same, but the textures don't. The transparency is dependent on your texture files and it is stored locally, only the client side. They DO NOT need to match. Just like any textures. The Map files contain functions, models, and "links" to textures maps.

2) The solution:
- I forget what, but there is a simple command line when setting up server. It basically says either you allow custom maps or you do not. When you set it so no one is allowed to use custom skin, then the game will run the using the default skins that are compressed in a giant gcf file. So no... it is not at all complicated to make it non-custom skin server.

3) WHY?
- I do not care if Ego uses custom skins or not. I just want to play in other servers too. And I just want to try the servers that does not allow custom skins so people have less possibility of cheating. I will still play in the Ego server when there aren't many people and when there aren't guys who get 300 kills with 12 death. I just want to know if there is a way to search and make sure that it is a server that does not allow custom skins. (No I don't want to download custom skins to check each server...)
 
BTW. I want to get this in the clear. I have no wish to change the existing Ego server because im paranoid that someone is using a "cheat-like" skin. It is possible that no one who comes into our server uses them but, only skins for artistic differences.

I simply want to know how to search for servers on Steam that does not allow custom skins. Thx.
 
None that I know of, I have yet to find a server that does not allow custom skins.
 
http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/screens/24384?img=http://image.hazardstrip.com/ss/skins/31625.jpg

its skins like these, that some think ok.. maybe some think enemy shows up very easily. Anyone else have any idea on how i can search for all servers that runs "sv_pure" thing?

Those army men skins are just for fun.

A lot of people use custom skins, I'm one of them. I just use texture enhanced skins though.

Don't know if there's a way to find servers running in sv_pure.
 
I think few servers do, since a lot of people are using custom content.
 
I'm afraid I disagree with dorkfish, I have downloaded several mods from FPS banana for fun, mostly retextured gun packs, Like for my colt skin I have a nickel Plated and Ivory handled one, for the walther p38 I have a Luger skin, and for the allied knife i got the KBAR skin.

Skins In my opinion are to be used for fun
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top