Have you tried Microsoft's speech recognition yet ?

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

Thread Thumper
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
1,113
Ever since windows XP , I have Been fascinated with Microsoft's Speech to text and voice recognition software .

Of course, it did not work very well back then . With only 400 megahertz available, the computer could barely keep up. Of course now with my new computer , AMD 3 core processor , With over two GHz apiece, it now has the Processing Power to process speech correctly.

I've typed out this post Using the text to speech that comes standard With Microsoft Windows vista.

As you can tell it's not perfect . It's capitalization is not perfect , And if you forget to say a punctuation mark right after you say a phrase, you get this pretty little space between the phrase that you said, and the next phrase.

It takes a lot of training. But you can visibly see the system get better. In the course of typing this post, the speech system has gotten much better at actually typing what I say, instead of some random gobbledygook. (Dear lord! It actually knows gobbledygook! )

Now Microsoft sells this As a boon for people who Type slowly. You have to type pretty damn slowly for this to the "faster". I think I'm down to about 30 words per minute. Of course for me, this is way down from my usual 60 words per minute. (Dear lord! It took 5 minutes To type the previous seven words . )

The biggest bug, in my opinion, is this systems obsession with the word "If ." (Except, naturally, The one time I actually want to use the word.) Almost every time it asks what I say , almost all the options have the word F at the beginning . Which means you get to repeat the sentence 40 times to give it the way you want. And even then, you might end up with "give", instead of "get".

Finally, getting it to work with basic programs that are expecting text instead of speech, Such as google chrome, is a pain in the rear end. In fact, I suspect that my sister wants to kill me, after listening to me dictate this for over 15 minutes.

If you have Microsoft's Windows Vista, (Dear lord! Microsoft's own product finally remembered to capitalize Vista.) turn on the text to speech in control panel. Train it for a bit, and give it a whirl. Dictation might be a bit tacky, but actually navigating through the windows on your desktop works incredibly well! For example, I can say, "start listening switch to windows help and support , close , switch to google chrone" and miracles of miracles, it actually does switch! ...in only 20 times the amount of time it would take to just use the mouse. But every Star Trek fan knows, it's more fun to talk to your computer. (Dear lord! It knew to capitalize Star Trek! ...On second thought, That's not as surprising as it initially sounds.)

Give it a try, and then try posting in this thread using only your voice. Free text to speech eGO shaped cookie for everyone who gives it a try.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top