I barely knew this guy, but he came in to my AP History class a long time ago to tell some war stories.
This man was the leader of a Tank Battalion in Italy during World War II, I don't remember what regiment it was, but it was the only one in Italy at the time (There were 4 or 5 tanks in the regiment). They had several skirmishes with the Nazis but the Allied Powered eventually pushed through the Axis defense. Anyway, after the warpath in Italy, many of the defeated Axis soldiers (probably Italian) retired from the service due to injury or PTSS (Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome). However, that last part was unimportant.
After the War, the guy I listened to went back to Italy to see the places he couldn't get a good glimpse of during the War. He and his buddies from the Tank Regiment decided to go to an old Italian Tavern where they noticed that the Tavern keeper only had one arm. Eventually they conversation ended up around the man's arm and he said that his arm was blown off by a tank during one of the battles in which they were the only tank regiment in there. So the fellow I heard the story from just got served drinks by the man who's arm he blew off.
I know, it may not be as cool as some other stories, but we all had a good laugh when we heard it.
:edit:
Now for my relatives, both of my grandfathers were in the service.
One was a Medic for the American Army
The other was in the Black Watch (A Scottish Elite Group)
I've heard some war stories about both of them, but I can't really recall them to be honest. I just know that neither of them liked talking about it at all.