Need Word Help

?moddedu

Thread Junky
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
885
I was working on my Science Fair project and some bad events occured...

I had all the stuff I printed on my poster, in a word document on a connected flashdrive. I was copy pasting that stuff to my file which was my science report file. Then a bunch of word things popped up, and then, my science poster file is gone off the flash drive. What do I do?
 
Well, it just basically sounds like there was some sort of error that corrupted the data. This can happen for many different reasons.

One thing I suggest is that you open up Word again and see if on the right hand side of the screen it comes up with a document recovery window thing. That sometimes comes up when Word shuts down incorrectly and it's able to recover some of the document that was open when the error occured. This will only work if Word was open and running when you got the error messages though.
 
If you havent lost the file from the PC I would recommend trying a new flash drive. Also, dont open word to save the files. Locate the files in Explorer and copy/paste them to the flash drive.

-IMPORTANT-
ONLY FOLLOW THIS IF YOU HAVE THE FILE SAVED ELSEWHERE - IF YOU HAVE NOT RECOVERED YOUR FILE DO NOT FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

Microsoft has built-in a detect and repair feature that works extremely well. Open Word, Go to "Help" and select "Detect and Repair". This will perform a detection of any installation or configuration errors based on pre-defined requirements. If anything is found to be corrupt, or incorrectly installed the software will correct it for you. This happens on all of your Microsoft Office products at once. So you don't need to run this in Word, Excel, and Outlook. Just run it once. Then try your file copy again.
 
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure the problem was with the flash drive. I hooked it up to a Mac computer and a .tmp file was there. So I opened up the .tmp with word on the mac and there was the file that I was looking for. The .tmp file was not visible on my PC.
 
Well, the flash drive could have failed, or the other possibility is that you removed the flash drive too quickly last time you disconnected it. That warning that pops up when you disconnect before it says you can sometimes actually is true, even if not all the time.

The reason the .tmp file didn't show up in Windows (most likely, I can't be absolutely sure obviously) is that you didn't turn the feature that shows hidden files on. I always turn that on, just so I can see all the hidden files. You can go to the control panel, Folder Options, and select the "View" tab, which then has an option to show hidden files
 

Latest posts

Back
Top