HD 4850 hott

shake_n_bake

Poster
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
231
lately, i dunno why, possibly cause i updated the drivers? but my msi hd 4850 has been getting pretty hot, today i noticed it was 100C and i dont think it usually gets this got(under load) so im wondering if i set my fan to manual control to 65%(which it is atm) to keep it idling cool, will the fan still speed up if it gets really hot to save the card from melting or w.e?
 
Last edited:
Or remove the case on the side xD, that is what i'm doing atm, and it works perfect, unless your scared of dust :P.
 
Thats actually the normal temperature for the 4850 under load with the stock fan speed settings.

With manual control the fan speed will not change under load, it will stay at whatever you set it at.

However, 65% of the fan speed should be more than adequate to keep it cool even under load. I used to own two 4850's and I ran the fan speeds at 45% and my temps didnt get above about 80 under load. If you are still worried about the temps then I would go for an aftermarket cooling solution.
 
How's the airflow in your case? Check for dust that could be caking the HSF on the card.

The alternative is to buy an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2: http://www.directron.com/acceleros1rev2.html and zip-tie a 120MM fan onto it. This'll bring the temps on the HD4850 way down. It's also very cheap, $25.

This guy was in a similar situation. Load temp at 105 degrees. With the Accelero, his load temps are at ~54.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33936219
i have that accelro on my card..with there turbo fans[8bucks]with decent airflo in case..under full load 52too56 c
 
When mines under a 100% load it runs about 60-68C depending on room temp with fan at 100%. Its loud but will keep your temps down. I would reccomend cleaning your card if you havent already that will helps with your temps.
 
so im wondering if i set my fan to manual control to 65%(which it is atm) to keep it idling cool, will the fan still speed up if it gets really hot to save the card from melting or w.e?

No the fan will not accelerate, the manual fan control overides the auto setting. The fan will run at 65% at all times
 
Probably been said before but mine was idling at hot temps so I removed it and cleaned it out real good with compressed air. Be sure to stick the straw deal into the small slots near the fan. You will get alot of dust out there.
 
actually... seems slightly too warm. my 4870x2 hits just over 90C on load (on big gpu based games)

you can manually set the fan speed in the CCC
 
Mine did the same thing. After about 6 months my card started getting super hot. I took the card out, and cleaned the heatsink with a can of compressed air.

Here's the thing, I used a can of air with one of those flexible tubes so I could get way up in the heatsink. I squeezed the trigger and a rug fell out. It looked like a huge chunk of dryer lint.

Clean the heatsink for sure, but take the card out first. It'll give you flexibility to clean it good.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top