can I overclock a stock DELL?

Crawlerz

Poster
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
174
hello guys. thnx for viewing/reading/answering.

I have a stock DELL 2.4GHz core2duo, 2GB RAM, 300GB HDD, 8800GTX 768mb video, Vista, 2ms 20" monitor on DVI, (everything else is stock too - like coolers and PSU)... Before I drop the big dime onto a new self-built PC with a heftier CPU I was wondering - in the meantime can I overclock this one? Can the stock POS processors even be overclocked? obviously not good for DELL's buisness but I frankly became very disenchanted with their work. I can build a better PC for 3 times less. back to the question at hand - can it be done with stock cooling (some do it with stock cooling - I meant not DELL)... and hey, I'm way past my warranty so I can do whatever.

p.s. why is this i7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202 so "cheap"? aren't they supposed to run over $1000?
 
I think u wont be able to do it via bios, but theres overcloking software that maybe would work for u. Another thing its to change ur heatsink before doing it, if ur running it on the retail intel.
 
The Extreme editions of Intel's cpu's run over 1k. That is a fairly standard price on that i7. I wouldn't waste my money on an Extreme chip.

I too cannot justify that. any any way under any conditions. but pardon my ignorance - what is extreme edition?
 
I was never able to find a way to overclock my old dell. I ended up waiting 4 years and building a very nice build. You'll probably have to do the same thing.
 
I too cannot justify that. any any way under any conditions. but pardon my ignorance - what is extreme edition?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115200

thats extreme edition.

let me answer your question. yes, you can overclock your cpu. you would need to either update your BIOS or use third-party software. I would personally go with updating BIOS but it is not likely you will be able to easily do that, so I would stick with the overclocking software. if you need a suggestion please message me.

in addition, if you overclock you will not be doing it with the stock cooler. I can find a good one for you if you give me the model number for your cpu and the case you have and the price range. a good cpu cooler will cost you around 60 bucks. you can get one thatll do the job for 30 though.

-Blue
 
I hate to disagree, but you cannot do it through BIOS, and using software is a terrible idea (A lot less accurate compared to BIOS). Computer manufacturers use specific motherboards for the computers needs, they can be the same as any other one, but there's a difference and that is the BIOS. They change the BIOS around in order to stop people from overlocking, causing problems, then complaining to the company.
 
Yes...and no.

Yes, because there's a few ways around Dell's attempts to stop you from overclocking.

No, because they're generally ill-advised.

Here's how:

You said a Q6600, right? You could do the BSEL and VID mod. You'll need a conductive ink pen or copper tape. Here's a link: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/341123-intel-bsel-vid-mod-guide.html

Or you could (bad idea though), overclock with software in Windows. The only time I recommend this (or rather, see it being done) is when people are going for suicide bench runs with dice or LN2. Most (read: all) i7 chips will coldbug with LN2 so using SetFSB is actually better than risking the trip to the BIOS and not being able to start back up again.

Believe me...waiting for a -173*c (or so) processor to heat up isn't fun.

~Gooda~
 

Latest posts

Back
Top