Am i just cursed?!?!

ok i guess im terrible at math. lol but i guess that means the card makers are too. they recommend 450watt psu for that card.

guess the specs on the box of my 9800GTX are wrong too when calling for MIN req: 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)
 
lol, yea im thinking i need a new PSU as well. Your right by the way, the card does call for a 450 watt psu, but my old 8600gt does not and it does the same thing. I only have windows 7 at the moment and i'm having some driver issues, so it is hard to tell what is hardware and what is software. I just ordered a copy of Vista (i actually like Vista) that will be here in a couple of days. So HOPEFULLY i can narrow it down and take care of things.

Sadly, i'll be playing Engineer for a few days...

EDIT:
By the way, I posted basically the same thread on Toms Hardware forums yesterday and got no response. Here I am on page 3 of suggestions! Such a great community.
 
Have you played with your in-game video settings? Turn down/play with the settings and see if it still happens. Also, be sure to check the new multicore rendering option in the advanced tab.

Didnt see your post...

I've tried turning things all the way up and all the way down with no luck, i could be wrong, but it seems as though it is most noticeable when im using the keyboard and mouse at the same time. Moving side to side with the keyboard alone, or looking with the mouse alone is smooth, but doing both at once produces a skip or stutter. The more i mess around, the more i think that Mustachio was right a few posts back. It seems like input lag of some sort.
 
Hey, what you are describing is the same thing I get... its like a microstutter that doesnt affect your framerate.

I get it in windows as well as pretty much any game, video... anything that plays on the computer. I had it with my old computer and my new one. I think this is probably an LCD issue because I dont remember ever seeing it on my old CRT monitors... but I may hook one up to test it out soon and see what happens. I think this is a relatively minor issue, and one that most people arent sensitive to, so they dont see it... i do, and so do you apparently. I have just learned to live with it.

If its truly minor like that, then I would say just try to live with it, because it sounds like there is nothing else that would be causing it... have you tried other computers/other monitors... or combinations of both to see if you still get it? if it truly is just your computer, then i dont know, but if you find a solution please share, because even though i live with my very minor microstuttering, i would like it fixed.

Also, i dont remember from your first post, but are you running a crossfire/sli setup? because im pretty sure the way those render can also be a cause for microstuttering.

again, good luck.
 
ok i guess im terrible at math. lol but i guess that means the card makers are too. they recommend 450watt psu for that card.

guess the specs on the box of my 9800GTX are wrong too when calling for MIN req: 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

It's called CYA. They recommend way more than you actually need because most users don't know enough to make an informed decision.
 
It's called CYA. They recommend way more than you actually need because most users don't know enough to make an informed decision.

It's also because a 450 watt power supply doesn't actually put out 450 watts. Generally as they heat up, their efficiency drops, and it's quite possible that after running a while, that power supply is only putting out 360 watts(80% efficiency). For systems with higher-end graphics cards, modern processors, larger hard drives, and possible multiple optical drives, that's an awfully high drain on a power supply. I usually suggest 500+ watt power supplies for all new machines. My machine that I built a couple months ago has a 650, just to be on the safe side.

A few things to try, though:
Try running Omega Drivers(www.omegadrivers.net), though I'm not sure they'll work with Win7
Try using different USB ports than the ones you're using now for KB/mouse, in case it's a problem with the USB bus. Try running one from the USB headers on the mobo, and the other from the back panel. Though they all run through the southbridge, there may be a problem with one of the buses.
Also check to see if there are hacked HID drivers for Win7, especially ones that increase the polling rate from the default 120hz. I know they exist for XP/Vista, but not sure about Windows 7.
 
Thanks Naismith, i'll definitely check that stuff out.

Just as an update, i turned off vsync, then manually capped my fps in console and that seems to help.

Also, just ordered Vista 64-bit because as much as i like windows 7, im having some driver issues and its probably not a good idea to use a beta as your primary OS.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top