"No Signal" Black Screen of Death

m3rryg0r0und

Active Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
297
While playing L4D or Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (these are not the only games, just the most frequent, also occurred in TF2 and UT3 but only once) my computer monitor still go black, say "No Signal" across the center, and just loop the last second of sound. The only way to get out of is for me to restart my computer. :facewall:

I run a GeForce 9600GT and all my games on the highest resolution. I meet recommended requirements for all the games also. This doesn't always happen with these games, it used to be just late at night on Saturdays. I used to link the black screen of death with an overheating problem because I would be gaming all day; but today I was out all day with my computer off, get home to game, and after about 2 hours it occurred in UT3, then TF2.

I have tried installing the newest drivers but they do not work correctly and I must roll back to my current driver. I have no idea what is happening so I hope someone on here may have some tips. :confused1:
 
my pc does this, but the problem for me is ATI catalysis controller which is very unstable and dies a lot, some time a few seconds some times i have to restart, i have found that if you press windows button then L and press enter it some times help as it does switch user and that makes it rerender everything then just log on again. hope that helps
 
While playing L4D or Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (these are not the only games, just the most frequent, also occurred in TF2 and UT3 but only once) my computer monitor still go black, say "No Signal" across the center, and just loop the last second of sound. The only way to get out of is for me to restart my computer. :facewall:

I run a GeForce 9600GT and all my games on the highest resolution. I meet recommended requirements for all the games also. This doesn't always happen with these games, it used to be just late at night on Saturdays. I used to link the black screen of death with an overheating problem because I would be gaming all day; but today I was out all day with my computer off, get home to game, and after about 2 hours it occurred in UT3, then TF2.

I have tried installing the newest drivers but they do not work correctly and I must roll back to my current driver. I have no idea what is happening so I hope someone on here may have some tips. :confused1:
To the guy with the nvidia card... reseat your card as it may not be seated all the way in, reflush your caches also run CCleaner and it will clean all temp files out of windows. temporarly disable your sound and run games to see if it black screens out. run your games in a window so you can end task in task manager. upon reboot, hit f8 and disable automattically reboot at blue screen, and write down the exact error that shows up then reboot again normally if that works. Even though it was black to you it still is a blue screen. BE CAreful about just hitting soft reset as it will corrupt your boot records. i suggest when it locks like that again to turn it off by the power supply switch on back of the computer. try those things.


the ATI problem may have to do with a bad video bios. Until 2 weeks ago the Powerplay technology was bugged and caused those issues. theonly for sure bet for good video bios support was going directly thru sapphire if you have a sapphire card. i have not heard of any other 3rd party card maker that fixed this problem. there is a new switch to turn off powerplay in the cat 9.2 and 9.3s again i plan on buying the 1 gig version and it isnt plagued by this problem because the bios is already updated. i think others are jumping onboard and providing support. good luck..
 
Back
Top