PC? What happened?

InfenXi

Poster
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
146
Soo I opened up my PC, cleaned out all the dust that had built up over the years because the fan was making a hell of a noise. So when i plugged it all back in and started it up, firstly it started up to login fine. So I entered my password and It started to load up. I went away to get a drink. Next thing I know there is this blue screen with white text saying something about a physical memory dump? So I turned it off and started it up again. It won't get past the Nvidia video card details. I am baffled, I'm guessing it's the amazingly old motherboard?
So I've left it for a day and turned it on and off so many times. Nothing.

Anyone know a cheap motherboard/PC? I'm not a Pro gamer so I don't give a monkeys about how amazing it is.
 
firstly u must've hurt something maybe got overzelous with ur cleaning.
im asumming intel mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280&bop=And&Pagesize=100 u probably want a biostar - they know what they're doing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138142 click around - read reviews. it's your choice that'll be final.

p.s. the most often problem comes from RAM being knocked out. but im asumming you know that. still u might wanna check.
p.p.s. write down the mem dumb error code and google it
 
firstly u must've hurt something maybe got overzelous with ur cleaning.
im asumming intel mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280&bop=And&Pagesize=100 u probably want a biostar - they know what they're doing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138142 click around - read reviews. it's your choice that'll be final.

p.s. the most often problem comes from RAM being knocked out. but im asumming you know that. still u might wanna check.
p.p.s. write down the mem dumb error code and google it

what? biostar...no.

the RAM trick works sometimes. try that.


we cant tell you what motherboard w/o specifications about your current mother board
 
Download Memtest Here http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You can burn to a CD and start you computer up. Boot from CD and let the program run. If you fried your ram or something that will show you errors on the RAM.

also when you opened up the computer did you discharge yourself of ESD (electrostatic Discharge) by either wearing a ESD wrist band or rubbing your hands around the metal case to discharge yourself briefly?

What did you touch while you were messing around the computer? Ram? Mobo? Hard drive?
 
what? biostar...no.

the RAM trick works sometimes. try that.


we cant tell you what motherboard w/o specifications about your current mother board

biostar no huh...they have only been making board for over 12 years now and have set 3 world records.. have not had 1 biostar board die.
3 gigtanks dead
4 asuk dead
1 msi
and well abit out of business,why, junk.
 
Check all your connections as stated above. Make sure the RAM is seated properly, the cpu is still seated correctly, video card, pci cards, ide cables etc. I can't see dusting out a computer hurting it that badly unless you bumped into something--unless you shuffle stepped over the pc on your carpet in socks and zapped the thing with a giant static shock.
 
If you have an intel processor there is one brand of motherboard to buy. Intel.

Just make sure everything is plugged in. That electro static thing....yeah i dont believe in that, I never bother with that and its never caused a failure in any PC's i've worked with.

edit: i have an abit AT8 running an opteron 144 w/o problems for 4 years now.
 
the issue doesnt even have to be hardware, when your computer gets a bsod (blue screen of death) it could be software related as well possibly a corrupt os needing a restore. its best you run a diagnostic test before jumping to any conclusions, otherwise you may replace something not needing replacement. your bios may come with a diagnostic test, try booting into bios and running one. if you have another computer you can find a program called PC check, by eurosoft. Download it, run it and itll scan your entire system and each hardware component and tell you what may be failing if anything.
 
Does it run in Safe Mode (repeatedly tap the F8 key during windows loading) and select safe mode from the menu that appears. If it works in safe mode do this:

Go to Start > Conrol Panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer > Look for any errors or warnings that occurred right before or during the blue screen (note the time when it blue screens) and tell us the error code or event ID.

You can google the event ID or error code to see what it means.
 
Asus is where its at, great mobos never had one die, even after dropping one accidently... They are Rock Solid and Heart Touching. Theyd be your best choice to go with if all else fails and you need a new mobo.

As to the people that say nay to Asus cause your board died on you, well Im sorry if that happened but they are top in the mobo field.
 
Guy's, Windows isn't even loading. So safemode....
*Above - Thanks
Ermm, Im not at home right now. Been at Cromer past few days. (Popped round a friends on the way back home, OMGZ QUAD CORE, lulz)
Thanks, great, a load of things I can try.
 
Last edited:
I noticed no one asked what the "STOP" code is?

A Blue Screen of Death, or BSOD, will typically have a STOP code associated with it. Similar to: "Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Please post the "STOP" code. Thank you.
 
Sorry, I missed it. The stop code doesn't come up again. Just Nvidia video card start-up splash.
 
Have you tried:

1) Re-seating all peripherals? (CPU, Memory, Hard Drive, Vid Card, etc.)
2) Try booting with all the above disconnected?
3) Checking all wires leading to Hard Drive(s) and CD-Rom(s)?
4) Try booting with on-board or a different Vid Card?
 
Guy's, Windows isn't even loading. So safemode.... c'mon use your brains. [If you have any]
*Above - Thanks
Ermm, Im not at home right now. Been at Cromer past few days. (Popped round a friends on the way back home, OMGZ QUAD CORE, lulz)
Thanks, great, a load of things I can try.

I'm sorry I didn't know when you said video card details you meant video card BIOS. I don't appreciate your insult in the slightest, you should have a found a more polite way of correcting my misunderstanding of your vague description.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, wasn't really meant to insult you.

EDIT: THANKS EVERYONE. BACK UP AND RUNNING WOOP.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top