This is the last time I ask this >.>

Well when i had to make this same simliar choose i played both for a while. I choose after a short little while. But that was just becuase i became better faster as a soldier then a demo. Also i find soldiers to be useful over all. It seems to me that alot of people like demo alot more. I think its just becuase they have more ammo and are a bit over powered IMHO. But like everyone else has said its really up too your playstyle. I became a pretty good soldier alot faster then a pretty good demo. So thats why i choose soldier. I'm still not that great at demo.
 
Thanks for all the great responses and help! I have decided soldier because its more fun for me, and I like the way it plays. Of course, my main is always medic. So if ya need a heal, call meh!

I saw you playing Soldier today...looked like you were having fun:thumbup1:
 
Pro's demoman:
Unbelievable strong weapons even from a distance
He doesn't have a real counterclass
only one who stands a chance against massive amounts of sentrguns
Can shoot targets not in line of sight
Can lay down traps which increased critical hit potential
Faster and better at evading incoming shots
2 primary weapons

Cons:
requires a lot of training to use the weapons accurate
harder to handle in close combat
spies are harder to take down
Needs a lot of reloading

Soldiers pro's
Can shoot in a line
more health
One of my favorite targets as a sniper after the heavy (big head)
Love the shotgun
Survives critical hits usually

Cons:
Not much damage given
4 shots as primary weapon
almost no use against sentryguns
is not the best person to uber except when it is kritskrieg

Maybe I left something out to the arguments but I choose the demoman, in my opinion he is the best

Wait, what?

Soldier is the definitive long-range destroyer of Sentry guns, not to mention is great for taking out sentires around corners. An unattended level three can be destroyed in three missiles, and an attended sentry gun with poor engineer placement can be destroyed in four missiles (provided you kill the engineer with splash damage).

And the Soldier is an excellent class to uber. A Demo is not that great because the best thing he could do in the circumstance is kill sentries with no worries, but a Demo can kill sentries without an uber anyway. Both are capable of clearing out rooms with an uber, but a Soldier benefits much more because his projectiles are capable of doing damage more quickly than the Demo. With the Demo, a team could run away.

The Soldier also has faster vertical movement options than the Demo because he takes much less damage than the Demo while rocket/sticky-jumping already having a higher health reservoir to work with, not to mention he can set up rocketjumps much more quickly and easily than a Demo could.

On the other hand, the Demo can attack things around or over corners that no one else could reach, does far more damage per successful hit, is much faster, and has more versatile traveling options.

I view the Demoman as a Soldier with more versatility but more risk, that's all. At least, that's how it seems to have turned out in TF2. In TFC, there was a clear and distinct difference in how they worked. Now, it's somewhat similar, at least in terms of combat roles out in the field.

But overall, in usefulness, a Soldier is more useful than a Demo, and I think the competitive TF2 community has shown this time and time again.
 
Last edited:
Wait, what?

Soldier is the definitive long-range destroyer of Sentry guns, not to mention is great for taking out sentires around corners. An unattended level three can be destroyed in three missiles, and an attended sentry gun with poor engineer placement can be destroyed in four missiles (provided you kill the engineer with splash damage).

And the Soldier is an excellent class to uber. A Demo is not that great because the best thing he could do in the circumstance is kill sentries with no worries, but a Demo can kill sentries without an uber anyway. Both are capable of clearing out rooms with an uber, but a Soldier benefits much more because his projectiles are capable of doing damage more quickly than the Demo. With the Demo, a team could run away.

The Soldier also has faster vertical movement options than the Demo because he takes much less damage than the Demo while rocket/sticky-jumping already having a higher health reservoir to work with, not to mention he can set up rocketjumps much more quickly and easily than a Demo could.

On the other hand, the Demo can attack things around or over corners that no one else could reach, does far more damage per successful hit, is much faster, and has more versatile traveling options.

I view the Demoman as a Soldier with more versatility but more risk, that's all. At least, that's how it seems to have turned out in TF2. In TFC, there was a clear and distinct difference in how they worked. Now, it's somewhat similar, at least in terms of combat roles out in the field.

But overall, in usefulness, a Soldier is more useful than a Demo, and I think the competitive TF2 community has shown this time and time again.

Agreed,

I was gonna say, I find that taking out sentries is a big PRO for the soldier...
 
I am talking about sentryguns, if there is no engie behind it, yes a soldier can take out a sentrygun, but if there is and there is more range, it is not likely it happens, also if he manages to take out 1 sentrygun, that is pretty much it, shotgunning a sentrygun isn't a great idea either. Demoman can take out 3 sentryguns at once depending on the compressionblast pyro's/sandman
 
how often do you really run into unattended sentry guns?

I would also like to add that the map you play on the most adds to this decision
 
Dustbowl 3rd stage 2nd cap- Engies are always scrambling around at the choke point and if you manage to sneak through the tunnel, you can usually long range 2 or 3 sentries. And even if there is an engy at the sentry, you destroy their dispenser, then kill the engy, then destroy the sentry.
 
I destroy guarded sentry guns by myself all the time. Fire a shot at the sentry to lure out the engy, kill the engy, kill the sentry. Or if the engy won't leave, kill him with splash damage then kill the sentry. It's really not very hard at all.
 
If I am playing engie, my sentry will pretty much never be destroyed by a soldier, but I guess some people don't jump around like a crazy man :P

3rd stage of dustbowl
Demoman > Soldier
 
I think you must not concentrate just on 1 class, if you learn both, you will be far greater value to the team.

I, myself, am expert of playing all 11 classes (10th being an admin, 11th - spectator), and can aid greatly to my team in any situation, therefor I am of unmatched value to the team.
 
I find if you can truly master the class. Demo's can be really more of a threat to an opposing team, it's also more rewarding doing air kills with grenades. But the learning curve is harder then a soldier
 

Latest posts

Back
Top