Memory Question

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
I've had my computer for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with it so far. It came with 2 gigs of PC2-5300 (333MHz) ram. I was wondering, would it be worth it to upgrade to 2 gigs of PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram? Would I notice any difference in performance?
 
It won't make MUCH difference, but I don't know if your motherboard supports 800MHz ram.. And if you are upgrading go for 4GB ;)
 
I've had my computer for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with it so far. It came with 2 gigs of PC2-5300 (333MHz) ram. I was wondering, would it be worth it to upgrade to 2 gigs of PC2-6400 (800MHz) ram? Would I notice any difference in performance?

I think you would see a minor increase in performance. You would notice it much more if you're running Vista than XP. Also, I think you would see more of an increase if you just added another 2GB of 333MHz RAM (if you can) so you would have a total of 4GB.
 
Just buy a new kit of RAM (preferably 4GB) with the desired speed. If you buy 2GB now and throw it in with your current RAM, there's no guarantee that the old RAM will be able to run at that speed.

FYI, RAM speed is halved when advertised/reported (usually). He's got DDR2-667 in there.

And yes, the faster RAM will downclock itself to the slower RAM.

~Gooda~
 
You're on x64 right? If not, then Windows will only be able to address/use <3.xx GB.
 
You're on x64 right? If not, then Windows will only be able to address/use <3.xx GB.

Yeah yeah!!
Does you motherboard have dual channels? (4 RAM slots that can hold 1GB each?)
If so get 2x 512MB RAM modules at the speed you want
Then you'll have 3GB of RAM
Make sure the RAM is all the same type, if you have different ones the RAM won't work as well...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top