Who has 8GB's of ram?

^ If you're running XP Pro x64, it'll recognize all 4GB. If it's plain, old x86, you're stuck with <3.xxGB of recognizable/addressable/usable RAM.

Having more RAM doesn't automatically mean more speed. It means you're able to keep a ton of programs open simultaneously without the 'feelng' that your PC has become sluggish when switching between 50 or more windows.

If you don't have a Quad or a lot of programs open at the same time, then, true, 8GB might be overkill. But try having multiple FireFox windows open, each window with 30+ tabs filled with image heavy content. Throw in 20 MS Word documents, a dozen Excel spreadsheets, a couple of PowerPoint slides, Photoshop, 3ds Max, and being able to open and switch between a resource intensive game and to your desktop in an instant, without having to close all other windows on a mere 2GB, or even 4GB.

That's when the additional headroom of 6 - 8GB really comes in.
 
Last edited:
If you don't have a Quad or a lot of programs open at the same time, then, true, 8GB might be overkill. But try having multiple FireFox windows open, each window with 30+ tabs filled with image heavy content. Throw in 20 MS Word documents, a dozen Excel spreadsheets, a couple of PowerPoint slides, Photoshop, 3ds Max, and being able to open and switch between a resource intensive game and to your desktop in an instant, without having to close all other windows on a mere 2GB, or even 4GB.

99.99% of people don't do that...lol but it's still worth it considering how ridiculously cheap RAM is now-a-days.
 
I have a core 2 duo E8500 at stock frequency. Never overclocked. Well never got it right. I do have Vista 64 bit. that is a Fact Jack. hehe The Ram i have is Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX. They still sell it which is cheap around 60-70 bucks. I have a Thermaltake 750w PSU. Maybe just getting 2 gigs more would be better. I can upgrade to a quad but since I mostly do gaming I went for the duo. I think if i upgrade I would get a new mobo/ram/and cpu that supports Intel I7 which will be later this year if not next year.once the 6 cores come out to lower the price on them.thanks for the input guys.
 
Well Tomshardware did a thing on this. If you have 4-6gb of ram, it is fine for normal gaming. If you are doing video work and the like, the larger ram is needed. Save your money!
 
99.99% of people don't do that...lol but it's still worth it considering how ridiculously cheap RAM is now-a-days.

ya its really interestin how cheap memory is today. in fact, i have 2 crappy laptops (1 w/ a celeron cpu & the other w/ a turion 64 cpu) & im gonna upgrade both to 1gb memory (i think thats the max on the cel but its 2gb on the turion 64 laptop) & itll only be like 45-50 bux for the memory (as old school of memory as it is). whenever win 7 x64 comes out, im def gonna save $$ & get it as an upgrade software & get upgrade mine from 4 gb to 6gb.
 
99.99%...arbitrary number? Or an actual, factual statistic?

There are people who actually need and make use of 8GB: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1383103

Yeah I pull it out of my hat and is most likely too high. Outside of people using computers for work, probably only 10% would use more than 4 gigs on a regular basis. I myself have never used all of my 4 GB's, and I do pretty some pretty heavy video editing and trans coding, along with gaming, a little bit of photoshop, light programming, and torrenting.

And it's always worth it though. it gives you plenty of room to disable page file, which can do wonders.
 
I've technically got 8GB...only problem is that 4GB is sitting on the side waiting to be RMAed (I'm lazy). One of the G.Skill sticks has a bunch of errors on stock clocks/volts.

~Gooda~
 
But try having multiple FireFox windows open, each window with 30+ tabs filled with image heavy content. Throw in 20 MS Word documents, a dozen Excel spreadsheets, a couple of PowerPoint slides, Photoshop, 3ds Max, and being able to open and switch between a resource intensive game and to your desktop in an instant, without having to close all other windows on a mere 2GB, or even 4GB.

I understand with the new MAUL ban request system, we no longer need to do all this ;)
 
^ Is that a serious question? You may see no use for it, but there are people who actually use their PC for more than just gaming and browsing.
 
Back
Top