An actual useful Pyro Guide

Still strange that in 330 hours as a demoman, I am killed once by a reflected pipe....
*wonders what all pyro's are doing out there*

Come to blackmesa, I'll reflect your pipes back at you if you really want me to.
 
pyros are the type of class that are easy to play/learn but harder to master. Being said backburner or CB? i say backburner just for the fun of ambushing.
 
IMO, the majority of backburner users are not team players(this obviously isn't always going to be true, but I find it often is). I mean, people that choose crits(a.k.a points) over being able to save sentries by blowing stickies, pipe bombs, and rockets away from them, and being able to prevent ubers from getting to the rest of your team or sentries if they're pyros or heavies, are more concerned with themselves than their team winning. I mean sure, occasionally getting behind the opposing team and wiping most of them out can save your team from a push, but this isn't going to happen all that often. A sentry being protected by a pyro with airblast will hold the enemy team off better and more consistently than a pyro running around getting crits from burning people from behind.

That's just a personal opinion though. Keep in mind I am not trying to offend anyone that uses the backburner, I am just stating my viewpoint and personal opinion.
 
Last edited:
I think back burner is better for 2 Fort games but i agree that CB is good for team based defense like capture point maps. And i'm not saying that only capture point maps are team based defense i'm just saying that when your red on dustbowl your only job is to defend as a team therefore CB would be more useful.
 
Man, I came in here to post that Don Newman video. ):

I've learned a few things from him, but they're hard to apply in black mesa. Flare, airblast into corner, axtinguish.
 
I think back burner is better for 2 Fort games but i agree that CB is good for team based defense like capture point maps. And i'm not saying that only capture point maps are team based defense i'm just saying that when your red on dustbowl your only job is to defend as a team therefore CB would be more useful.

I'm going to say CB is generally better than BB in any game type. I've tried both, and the BB just leaves you severely limited on how effective you can be against certain classes and situations.
 
I just watched the video. It was ok, nothing extraordinary.

Just a normal night on blackmesa for me. :laugh:
 
Because you rocket jump around every night on blackmesa as a pyro, am I right? ;)
-Calle

Down at the A point, yup. I also sticky jump to kill those pesky demos down there. That's something that's not even mentioned in the video.

Nor do they mention my awesome death from above technique.

Nor does it mention how the flamethrower does more damage when you move in certain directions.

There's quite a bit left out of the video on how to be an awesome pyro.
 
Down at the A point, yup. I also sticky jump to kill those pesky demos down there. That's something that's not even mentioned in the video.

Nor do they mention my awesome death from above technique.

Nor does it mention how the flamethrower does more damage when you move in certain directions.

There's quite a bit left out of the video on how to be an awesome pyro.

The video isn't teaching you how to be a good pyro, it's for the lulz.

Oh wait are you talking about the original or the Don Newman one? x)
 
Last edited:
If you read anything in the video, it tells you that this is about stuff you can do with the COMPRESSION BLAST. Hence why it is called w+M2. If you wanted more pyro stuff, he tells you to watch Daedalus' video on "How to Pyro".

Very cool guide. I don't play pyro a whole lot so this just gives me more ideas than just running in. Very helpful, now I just need practice, lol. Thanks for postin' that.
 
If you read anything in the video, it tells you that this is about stuff you can do with the COMPRESSION BLAST. Hence why it is called w+M2. If you wanted more pyro stuff, he tells you to watch Daedalus' video on "How to Pyro".

Watched the Daedalus video... It answers all the important questions like "Should I ever spy check?" and "Which end of my weapon does the fire come out?"
 
Watched the Daedalus video... It answers all the important questions like "Should I ever spy check?" and "Which end of my weapon does the fire come out?"

I think the "How To..." videos are to help players that are being introduced to a new class they are unfamiliar with. Like when I see a "How To Medic" video and I was new, I wouldn't know when to use a Kritz or stick with an uber, I wouldn't know that I should heal all classes rather than just one, and I wouldn't know that I am not an attack class and should retreat when my friend dies.

If I was an experienced medic, I would still watch the video and add my constructive thoughts to help other newer or inexperienced players to further help them understand how to effectively play that class.

But I guess an extremely advanced elite pyro player like yourself doesn't need to provide feedback. Rather point out the obviousness that most experienced TF2 players know already.
 
When I started the game I just watched some good frag videos; a lot better editing and a lot less boring. I can pick up a lot more than having them explain it to me for some reason. Plus after I watch a certain classes frag video I feel really pumped to play that class.
 
But I guess an extremely advanced elite pyro player like yourself doesn't need to provide feedback. Rather point out the obviousness that most experienced TF2 players know already.

I'm merely defending my honor against the depredations of Foxhound.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top