Anyone Interested in a Pyro Training Class?

Would you take a pyro training class?

  • Yes

    Points: 21 26.6%
  • Maybe

    Points: 19 24.1%
  • No

    Points: 39 49.4%

  • Total voters
    79
I tend to play pyro when I want try to Axe people, or just annoy snipers with the flare gun.

Do you use the backburner or compression blast?
 
BB: dropping charged medics before they even realize they're on fire is incredibly satisfying
 
Lessons 1-10: w+m1.
gg

No no no, Jack.

Lesson 1: bind mouse1 +attack
Lesson 2: bind w forward
Lesson 3: w+mouse1
Lesson 4: ???
Lesson 5: Profit!


Honestly though, I've been playing CB pyro on gold rush and BWB lately and it's soooooo fun. I make it my objective to screw over ubers. It just saddens me that there's no points awarded for it, so if you look at my K:D or points compared to my team, I look really bad. But, I know in terms of helping my team win, preventing ubers from being effective is pretty much equal to win. Valve should implement "uber interference points." Whenever a pyro or scout bonks or CB's an uber, whether it be the medic or the target, they get points. Probably half a point for pyro's CB's, and 1-2 points for the scout's bonk since it's a bit harder, and can't be spammed.
 
Last edited:
Without sounding too mean, I'd just like to mention that I'd rather waste my time reading Entertainment Weekly than taking a class on playing Pyro. I'm sure someone will benefit from it, but only those who've played the class less than 10 hours.
 
Yeah there's really no point in teaching how to play pyro. How to play pyro on a certain map however..
 
I want advanced compression blast training (like deflect jumping and stuff) Otherwise, I'm pretty adept at pyro lol.
 
Yeah, I need more with compression blast, but it's not that hard to learn the basics with Pyro.
 
There are maps you can download to practice compression blasting, although it's not too useful on our 32 player servers.
 
There are maps you can download to practice compression blasting, although it's not too useful on our 32 player servers.

You're right, pyros are less effective with big servers. There are more people to spot you being sneaky, and more people to shoot you from a distance.
 
You're right, pyros are less effective with big servers. There are more people to spot you being sneaky, and more people to shoot you from a distance.

Actually with bigger servers, pyros can be even more effective. 1 on 1 tactics may not work at choke points, but an ubered pyro can massacre an entire team trying to hold a point. And a successful ambush can completely stop a rush.

Things like compression jumping and puff and sting still work if the area is big and open enough, but with those it's not about how effective you are. It's about how much you can humiliate your enemies.
 
I don't know uber pyro works well if there is a steep corner near the CP or if there isn't a distance, even a short one, to cover to reach the enemy.Even if it is a 2 second run to get them a soldier could effectively chop off a good 3 - 4 seconds and hold if back just by fireing rockets at the pyros feet.Add in other pyors AB, the occasional scout and you get a shaky uber that is best against surprised people.Also I would choose a demo over a pyro 95% of the time when it comes to taking out sentrys.

I would definitely come if you could even address some of issues pyro has compared to other classes in a 1v1 or any other kind of fight that is usually bad for it.
 
A demo can definitely take out sentries better than a pyro can, but if theres an airblasting pyro or sandman scout, either uber wouldn't work as well. If the pyro can take out the sentries, he can hold the point for capping better than a demo.
 
Yea sign me up :D Even though pyro is my main class and Im pretty good its better to get it from someone with 558 axtinguisher kills.
 
Things like compression jumping and puff and sting still work if the area is big and open enough, but with those it's not about how effective you are. It's about how much you can humiliate your enemies.

I must say, I used that cb jump server script and now i can do it pretty well. You go really high for some reason?! CB > Backburner because, it competely neuralises soldiers rockets against you, and anticipation of them firing after they see you at close range is key. And their own crits are their worst nightmare if they are shooting at some one who can pull a cb off. But humiliation is something I tend to do, as I often just chop other pyros, scouts, spys and medics up with the fireaxe and it only takes three hits max (save the taunt for snipers). I just find that axetinguisher limits your targets too much, and you get normal crits quite often. I really can't choose between flare and shotty though I generally use flare more, as it's less agressive = live. But yea, one time i got 56 axe kills on the eGO server in a day.
 
I'd be interested.
To me there is an underlying layer to every class that is relatively hidden to those who complain about pyros and say it is "one of the easiest classes to play."
I think that each class has an incredibly difficulty curve after you've played the class a bit but the usual tactics just aren't working like they used to. I think that the pyro is a great class and has more to it than just the usual "w+m1" generalization. If the pyro is used by someone who knows the pyro's strength's and weaknesses than he/she can destroy 6 players in 5 seconds.
I think that the pyro and the medic are unfairly put as the "easiest classes" because there is much more to playing medic than just pointing and shooting. I mean you have lots of things to think about, you are hunted by: spies, pyros, scouts, and when you're healing someone, you're more likely to be the target than the person you're healing. So you have to think on your feet and know when the danger is too great and you have to get out. So, like the medic, the pyro has an underlying layer of awesomeness that comes out from only the best players.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top