Windows 7 Release Client

Would you install Windows 7 Release Client as your main OS or Dual boot?


  • Total voters
    58
I was having issues with some of my games. so i put in my XP Harddrive back in. Win 7 is still sitting on my desk though, literally.
 
I will continue to tri boot my OS's. Currently I have xp pro as a tertiary OS, vista ultimate as a secondary, and windows 7 beta as my primary. will probably change RC (which I have on a dvd waiting to install) to my primary, and phase out my xp installation.

-Blue
 
you dont actully have to re-format most linux distros can resize most types of filesystems including ntfs just use gparted or a openSuSE live cd also im not sure but i think a ubuntu live cd can do that too

Well, the whole point right now is thqat i feel like i need to reformat soon, at least, i want to so i can have a fresh windows installation... just not sure if i want my only OS to be an RC version of windows.
 
Well, the whole point right now is thqat i feel like i need to reformat soon, at least, i want to so i can have a fresh windows installation... just not sure if i want my only OS to be an RC version of windows.
I've been running the Beta, and the RC. I'll gladly take the Win7 RC over the retail XP32 it replaced :)
 
I put the RC on a spare harddrive and tried it out for a while. I think I like it, a lot. I was particularly pleased with the included drivers. It was super easy to boot the same install on the same HDD on multiple different computers.

I'm very curious about their XP compatibility mode though. Will hardware vendors still have to take XP into account when writing drivers?


For now I'll stick with my Xp install, just because reinstalling everything is a pain. But when Alan Wake comes out I'll have to make the switch for DX11.
 
Just got my Win 7 Ultimate RC 64-bit installed about 2 hours ago. Got to use it properly about an hour ago. So far I have been completely satisfied.

Me likes what?

After the installation I got on to the Internet right away without having to battle hordes of bloodthirsty drivers all hellbent on not working. It didn't require any drivers at all. The graphics card was another thing. While I downloaded Nvidia's Win 7 drivers that supported my card as well which is odd (laptop, and Nvidia isn't known for making drivers for 'em) they didn't work. It gave some sort of error about a supported display adapter not being found but then in came the heroic rescuer - Windows Update which provides the latest WHQL accepted drivers for Windows 7. Guess what? My graphics card being among them and now this runs peachy.

While a bit weird at first the looks of this OS is awesome, when modified to your own liking. :)

..And well, just about anything else. But this isn't the most perfect OS.
Without modification I think the stacking icons on the taskbar are horrible and should be buried 6 feet under in a locked trunk made out of titanium and the key should be destroyed in a furnace. Gladly you can turn it off. :P
And and.. what else is there..

Well, the icons on the taskbar are huge, and when something is minimized into the tray it's pretty hard to dig it up from there - again - this is totally adjustable so it can't be held against it that much.

About performance, this clean install takes me about 1 minute to be all set to go at the time being compared to my Vista's 2 minutes so yay for this. Also, much lighter than Vista.

So far I've only tested out World of Warcraft from games. I didn't notice much of an FPS-boost in it, but tomorrow I'll be checking out at least GTA IV, Team Fortress 2 (I'll call it a day if TF2 manages to start up faster than in Vista where it took about 1min+) and Half Life 2.

All in all, I am - at the time being - very happy that I decided to wipe my HDD clean and put this in. Hope this gives you some directions if you are considering this OS. ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top