Source Games/Windows Crash?

Deimos

Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
341
Hey, recently when I have been any source game (CS:S or TF2) for some odd reason, windows crashes. I'll be playing, and it will seem like a gigantic lag spike.. frozen screen, repeating sound, but then the sound will mix up, screen goes black with a blinking '_' (like in BIOS). I wait it out, nothing happens, I restart windows, and it says "Windows had encountered a serious error . . . " I'm running XP 32, my games are all updated, no addons/skins or anything. My specs are E8400 (not overclocked), EVGA 750i FTW, 4gb corsair ram, GTX285.

Does anyone have ideas?
 
This has happened to me a few times on DoD:S as well
Last time windows crashed, I couldn't even get to load up again
I had to use system restore but yeah... this is a weird problem :confused1:
 
First, make sure that this does not occur in just Source games. Try some other games as well. Make sure you've got the most recent drivers for your card. Are there any artifacts appearing on screen before these crashes (screen flickers, abnormal tearing)? System lockups are commonly related to hardware failure.
 
I'm on Windows 7 and this happened to me a lot w/ Source games (as well as a variety of other grahical glitches), I rolled my graphics drivers back to the previous version and it works like a charm.
 
First, make sure that this does not occur in just Source games. Try some other games as well. Make sure you've got the most recent drivers for your card. Are there any artifacts appearing on screen before these crashes (screen flickers, abnormal tearing)? System lockups are commonly related to hardware failure.

I just tried out GTA IV, and it was working as it usually does. Theres no artifacts when it crashes, it just 'goes'. I'll update my drivers and keep you posted...

I'm on Windows 7 and this happened to me a lot w/ Source games (as well as a variety of other grahical glitches), I rolled my graphics drivers back to the previous version and it works like a charm.

I had this problem, my drivers would always crash. This happened with the 1st, and 3rd versions of the drivers that I had. The 2nd version worked best and I've been using those
 
I just tried out GTA IV, and it was working as it usually does. Theres no artifacts when it crashes, it just 'goes'. I'll update my drivers and keep you posted...



I had this problem, my drivers would always crash. This happened with the 1st, and 3rd versions of the drivers that I had. The 2nd version worked best and I've been using those

*Edit*

Ok! After a ton of restarts of Windows, and CS:S, I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! thanks guys (It was the drivers)
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
 

Latest posts

Back
Top