Why does my cable internet go out when my phone rings?

RedFlag

Thread Thumper
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
1,048
It's the weirdest thing. I never used to have this problem up until a few weeks ago. Whenever my phone rings, my internet freezes until someone picks up the phone, and goes out if it rings too many times.
My main computer connected to the router still has internet yet the wireless signal on the wifi card on the laptop I use gets the signal reset to 1mb per second. This leads me to believe its a problem with the cordless phone signals messing with the wifi signals, but I'd have no idea how to check or fix something like that.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
I've had that too. I don't really know how I fixed it then. I think it was a phone with bad plug. or we contacted our ISP.
 
I've had that too. I don't really know how I fixed it then. I think it was a phone with bad plug. or we contacted our ISP.

First yes i would contact the ISP or phone company. Second thing i would suggest is too look into some filters for the phone. It sounds like the phone is basically just over powering your wifi with interference. But i am sure theirs gotta be a filter for the phone to lessen it.
 
Its not cable, your obviously on dial up. ;)

Yeah, call your ISP. I had that issue with our alarm system a while back. The guys who wired the alarm system ignored the fact we had internet service. A quick call to my ISP fixed that.
 
You would be correct guessing that cordless phones mess with wireless signals. I'm not sure if that is the problem in your case, but it's worth looking into. Is the phone in the receiver when the internet goes out? Also, how far is the receiver from the computer?
 
*CABLE* internet, guys... no DSL filters if you're on cable.

It is most likely your cordless phone. Switch to a corded and then call yourself a few times and see if it goes away.

Most wireless routers (and some cordless phones) will allow you to select different channels or frequencies for broadcast. If you unhook & unplug the cordless phone and it fixes the problem, try adjusting those settings in your router and see if it helps. If not, you might have to ditch or upgrade your cordless phone.
 
Yes do as the others suggested when I got my first Wifi router, when Wifi was the hot thing (when it first cameo out) my dad also wanted to buy a cordless phone and we had to make sure the frequency of the phone was diffrent from the wireless router.
 
Exactly as other are saying. No filters, no nothing. 99% sure the frequencies are the same, and they are causing interference. Nothing with the ISP.
 
I got around to changing the frequency today and after a few test phone calls, it looks like it worked! Thanks for the help everybody.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top