Got my XFX 4890 Xtreme Edition!!!

In my computer hardware ignorance, is there that a big of a difference when it comes to the manufacturer? Is xfx that much better than his, sapphire, etc? I need to get a new card, and was looking at the 4890, but didnt know how to choose beyond that.
 
In my computer hardware ignorance, is there that a big of a difference when it comes to the manufacturer? Is xfx that much better than his, sapphire, etc? I need to get a new card, and was looking at the 4890, but didnt know how to choose beyond that.

The answer to this is gray. You will find perceived quality differences by owners of cards. Some people are EVGA people, while others swear by XFX. Some think Sapphire is junk, others think it is just as good while being cheaper. It's kind of like asking what is better, a Camry or an Accord.

The warranties are the biggest differences. EVGA and XFX both offer lifetime warranties. I believe EVGA doesn't void their warranty with aftermarket coolers. XFX has less hoops from what I've read.

Personally, I have an EVGA and like it. I'd narrow it down to what model card you want (ie 9800 GT, GTX 260) and then read reviews on the different brands. of each model. Then post a couple here, and people will help you make a good choice.
 
The answer to this is gray. You will find perceived quality differences by owners of cards. Some people are EVGA people, while others swear by XFX. Some think Sapphire is junk, others think it is just as good while being cheaper. It's kind of like asking what is better, a Camry or an Accord.

The warranties are the biggest differences. EVGA and XFX both offer lifetime warranties. I believe EVGA doesn't void their warranty with aftermarket coolers. XFX has less hoops from what I've read.

Personally, I have an EVGA and like it. I'd narrow it down to what model card you want (ie 9800 GT, GTX 260) and then read reviews on the different brands. of each model. Then post a couple here, and people will help you make a good choice.

Expanding on this EVGA only makes distributes Nvidia GPUs, while XFX distribute both Nvidia and ATI (They have just recently started ATI). EVGA has the Step-Up program which as long as you register your card with them, you can upgrade your card to a newer one within 90 days (as long as it meets the requirements). The only difference you pay is the difference between the cost of the cards. This is useful if you need/want a new graphics card now, but there is a better one coming out in a month that you want. You can buy a card now, use it, and when the new card comes out, often times you can simply upgrade.

XFX offers the Double Lifetime Warranty on their cards. Essentially, you get two lifetime warranties. What would you use this for you ask? Well, on top of you having a warranty, if you ever decide that you want to sell your card (because you upgraded or such), XFX will then give the person you sell it to a lifetime warranty on it as well. This is a great selling point when selling a XFX card.

These are the two manufacturers that I have the most experience with. If I go with an Nvidia GPU, I use EVGA. When I go ATI, I use XFX. They are two of the best imo, though many others may have differing opinions. Definitely research the different manufacturers to see what perks and/or options that you get when go with them. If you'd like more information on a specific manufacturer, I'd be willing to help. Just shoot me a PM and what you're looking for, and I can find information for you.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top