Avast! and AVG.

pickles

Thread Junky
Joined
Dec 29, 2008
Messages
787
So today when I was downloading and installing programs (as I usually do) I came across an Adobe Flash Decompilier. It was called Flash Decompilier Trillix (I think) and I thought "I need one of those!" So I downloaded it, not noticing that it wasn't from the company's website.

When I tried to installed it it didn't install the program, instead it installed something called "VideoPlugin".

Right after it finished, my anti-virus program, Avast, detected that this so called "VideoPlugin" was tring to run "autorun.inf" which would delete my D drive.

Thinking to myself "Not Good :|" I clicked delete.

2 Seconds later the same thing poped up, but this time wanting to delete my C drive. Same thing poped up in my mind, "Not Good :|" Clicked delete.

I went through this about 30 times before getting annoyed and resulting to holding the power button on my computer.

Yes I did fix the problem. I just ran a before boot Avast scan and it did its job. Then deleted "VideoPlugin" and deleted the remaining files.

When I was going through all of this, both Avast Anti-Virus Free and AVG Free Edition were both running.

Even though Avast was screwing up Firefox and doing some other stupid stuff I still left it installed. So if the same happens to you, DO NOT UNINSTALL AVAST. If you don't have Avast I suggest you get the free version now.
 
Both truely brilliant free software anti-virus.

Although I use Kaspersky for all my security needs now, AVG was always the first thing i'd install after building a new rig.
 
Its usually Not good to be running two different Anti-Virus software one will often cancel out the other, which is probably why AVG did not warn you, it was most likely being blocked by Avast!, and by running both software suites you are using system resources which do not need to be used.
 
Its usually Not good to be running two different Anti-Virus software one will often cancel out the other, which is probably why AVG did not warn you, it was most likely being blocked by Avast!, and by running both software suites you are using system resources which do not need to be used.

/Thread.
 
Oprah is exactly right - you should never run two anti-viruses at the same time. Uninstall one of them and you'll find your machine running a lot better, AND you'll have a better time catching things you shouldn't be installing ;-)
 
i had the same problem running 2 of them. They virtually attacked eachother, deleting eachothers files. I had warnings popping up from both saying that this file was a virus (being a file from the other program).

Gotta say, it was great fun
 
i would definitely say uninstall 1 of the 2 antivirus programs. you should never run 2.
if u want 2 lots of security i wud suggest an antivirus program (not kaspersky or norton, sorry to all that have it, but thers serious problems with both, i can discuss these further if some1 wants me to) and id also suggest Spybot search and destroy to run along with ur antivirus.
i run both avast and spybot and never have problems with viruses or hacks or anything malicious.

im currently studying my 2nd year of IT and im already qualified to a certain extent with lots of people askin me about security ;) cant wait to talk more :P
 
Back
Top