Why Valve was smart making this new method

Unfortunately, when people get new weapons they love to play with the new toys to the point of getting seven out of sixteen players being sniper... Or at least, that happens a lot on Blackmesa. I can't count how many times I've said "Hey, guys, we don't need ____ snipers" or "A medic or two would be nice... any of the ___ spies wanna switch classes?" in just the past two days.
 
Maybe you haven't played many games with an achievement system (ex. Xbox 360) but that's generally how it goes in any game.

That's why I like TF2, the achievements mattered. I don't play Xbox 360, and if I did, I would also think that achievements were pointless.



If you want work mixed in with your fun, you might want to try an MMO (ex. World of Warcraft).

What's the difference? When I'm playing, I'm earning achievements, and everytime I earn an achievement, I'm GUARANTEED to be that much closer to an unlockable. I like guarantees more than 'finding' an invisible weapon on the ground.



It saddens me as well. TF2 is just as fun as it ever was. It sounds to me like maybe TF2 is just not the game for you.

It's called differing opinions, and the fact that you're saying this is how TF2 really is doesn't make sense, because since it came out, it's been under the milestone method. How can a game not be for me after an update that changed it from its original version?

That's like saying if WoW changed from a level-based exp game to a 'find the new level randomly' game, the people who liked the level-based exp version don't belong in WoW anymore.



It wasn't that people had to farm, it's that they easily could. I know you said you did them all legitimately and that's cool, but just because you wouldn't steal from a bank doesn't mean they should leave the vault unlocked.

No...what I was saying was is that they thought people were having a hard time achieving the 3rd milestone. It's not hard. Finding the required amount of achievements to get that 3rd milestone is easy, and I used the example of me being able to get all of the milestones with regular gameplay.

I'm sorry if I came across as being crass, I'm just tired of hearing people get so upset over something so trivial to the core gameplay of TF2.

I find it important because unlocks are important. That is a huge attraction to the game. The method of unlocking the weapons is extremely important.

Sorry if I came across as being crass.
 
Last edited:
I've played for like 15 hours since the update and all I got was 2 weapons I already have. If achievements unlocked weapons I could have weapons already. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
 
That's why I like TF2, the achievements mattered. I don't play Xbox 360, and if I did, I would also think that achievements were pointless.

Consider the name of the very thing you discuss; an achievement is an mark or badge that signifies an action undertaken by the owner that is impressive or admirable. They are essentially badges of honor; trophies, if you will. They act as confirmation of the things of a b@d@ss nature you have achieved while playing the game.

That is their meaning. They show your great accomplishments. They give you bragging rights and showcase your amazing skills.

However, when they become linked to unlocking something a lot of people want, and it becomes impossible to get that thing any other way, then people start duplicating the conditions for the achievements; unlocking them in a controlled environment; earning them artificially.

So what happens next? Well, all the people who earned those achievements the normal way suddenly have not achieved so much any longer; a trophy given for a great achievement isn't so special when everyone else has made their own that is indistinguishable from the real thing by outside viewers.
 
It's called differing opinions, and the fact that you're saying this is how TF2 really is doesn't make sense, because since it came out, it's been under the milestone method. How can a game not be for me after an update that changed it from its original version?

So, I would just like to correct a small error here, but Valve did not launch TF2 with the milestone system. It was not put in to place until the Medic update. The original game had achievements that were around to get for playing the game. As I understand Valve wanted to return the achievement system back to that stage and remove the weapon unlock system from it completely.

Also, to Xenophek, while I respect your approach at another method for finding weapons, I find skill not a very good measure. I don't see why skill should be the reason a player can receive such weapons. I, for instance, like to play melee battles quite frequently in my short periods of game time. These battles rarely lead to my stats looking skillful at all, but are rather fun. Also, for new players jumping into a free weekend or a newly bought game, there is little chance they would have such a skill rating (especially with spy) to attain any of the new weapons that Valve advertises as part of the game. Skill based systems aren't quite my cup of tea for FPS games unless it's in actual ranked game play.
 
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate the new unlock system since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for the new unlock system at this micro-instant. Hate. Hate.
 
It's call advertising. It's getting the money they need for players to come and buy and play. If it isn't like that, they wouldn't really have money income. And, they are not dumb lol
 
It's call advertising. It's getting the money they need for players to come and buy and play. If it isn't like that, they wouldn't really have money income. And, they are not dumb lol

The free weekend is advertising. The new system is just stupid.
 
You know, rather than complain without a better alternative (like my previous post), I came up with one.

I propose that weapons be based off of kills (or kill assists), and you get to choose which weapon you want (for the class you're using). That way, players are rewarded for their success, and you can still get duplicates of the same item for the planned item trading. Certain classes like the spy would need lower kills because they serve a more tactical purpose than bulk massacres.

Or it could be based on points. That might more accurately reflect skill...

What do you fellas think about my idea? (I always welcome criticism as well)

The problem with that idea is that it would still be very easy to "farm" for the items.
 
The problem with that idea is that it would still be very easy to "farm" for the items.
No matter what way Valve comes up with, people will always find a way to farm achievements. Just look at all the achievement_idle servers, packed to the gills. So with the new way they just made it easier to farm. LOL :lol:;):P:):chair:
 
The alternative to having people farm achievements is to have people sit AFK in servers?

That seems pretty counterproductive to me
 
No matter what way Valve comes up with, people will always find a way to farm achievements. Just look at all the achievement_idle servers, packed to the gills. So with the new way they just made it easier to farm. LOL :lol:;):P:):chair:

If that is true I totally agree, but are we sure that people are actually getting items by idling in those servers? I read a lot of posts in other forums of people saying they idled overnight and got nothing. But if that is all it takes, then yeah, they need to fix it. I don't really care what system they come up with, I just want one that isn't cheatable.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top