Taking apart a laptop.

?moddedu

Thread Junky
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
885
Well, just bored so decided to take apart one of my old laptops. So far, I found out how to take out the hard drive, but that seems it is all I can get to. The bottom is attached to the keyboard part of the laptop. Is it possible to take that part off so I can mess around with the rest of the laptop?

Keep in mind I am a beginner at hardware stuff :)
 
I would suggest take out you keyboard, that's normally just a thin metal plate which you can take out with a flat screwdriver, next unscrew all the bolts on the bottom and see what you can get loose. Every laptop is different so I can't really help you if you don't at least specify which one you got.
 
I've disassembled many laptops. The method to disassemble each one has been very different from the others.

The method I always use is being extremely observant, staying patient, removing any screws that are accessible at the stage I'm currently at, and gently moving parts in different directions to determine what part(s) can be removed next.

FYI: I wouldn't just go hacking away at the keyboard with a screwdriver, that's a good way to destroy the keyboard. On some of my laptops, there were little spring-loaded tabs that held the keyboard in place. I would have to first push one back with a pin and then the other. After that, the keyboard could be lifted slightly and rotated over in order to access the main board where the cable that connects the keyboard to the main board could be detached.

If you search around on the web, you can sometimes find manuals or images people have produced that show how to disassemble your specific model.
 
I've disassembled many laptops. The method to disassemble each one has been very different from the others.

The method I always use is being extremely observant, staying patient, removing any screws that are accessible at the stage I'm currently at, and gently moving parts in different directions to determine what part(s) can be removed next.

FYI: I wouldn't just go hacking away at the keyboard with a screwdriver, that's a good way to destroy the keyboard. On some of my laptops, there were little spring-loaded tabs that held the keyboard in place. I would have to first push one back with a pin and then the other. After that, the keyboard could be lifted slightly and rotated over in order to access the main board where the cable that connects the keyboard to the main board could be detached.

If you search around on the web, you can sometimes find manuals or images people have produced that show how to disassemble your specific model.

With mine it just clicked in :p
 
Keep in mind some screws may be hidden under stickers on the bottom of your laptop as well (warranty stickers and windows licensing stickers are the normal culprits I've found).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top