ATI Video Card Question

Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
93
I am about to build a new rig and I am going ATI all the way this time.

The video card I have decided on is an ATI Radeon? HD 4850 X2.

Does anyone here have one that could share pros and cons. I have read
three articles testing it and so far I have seen it is only a little bit less card than it's big brother ATI Radeon? HD 4870 X2 and both cards crush Nvidia's present big dog GTX 260.


Any Help is useful


Thanks
 
Nvidias "present big dog" is the 295GTX for dual chips and the 280GTX is their big single chip card. Personally, I prefer nvidia because of Cuda™ but if you're only using it for gaming then go right ahead with ATi.

The 4850X2 is a great card. Amazing price/performance ratio. The only negatives I have about it is that it only works in Crossfire supported games(Well, it works in others but only uses one chip which is a huge performance loss, and the fact that there's no Cuda(but again, this has no effect on gaming).

Overall, it's a great card, although I'd recommend a nvidia card if you're using it for Photoshop, Video editing, or multimedia encoding as well as gaming. But just for gaming, 4850X2 will do great.
 
yeah i have heard good things about that card :D it'll give you great performance, and if i were buying a card around that price range, im pretty sure i would go with that
 
It's a great for the price, some of them have four DVI ports on the back.
So that might be a issue for cooling, make sure your PSU and case can handle it.
 
im a GTX 295 user and i love it i had a 4870x2 and the drivers are kind of unstable but the GTX295 will beat the 4870x2 in bench marks im not sure how much difference you will see in real world game play
 
i would personally go with the GTX 295. its essentially from what i have been told two GTX 280's put into a single card, so it will go faster than a 4850x2 since the 4850x2 only beats the GTX 280 by a slight margin.
 
get a 4870x2... I have one. runs any game max settings, even Crysis. Drivers are stable, idk who said they were not. Plus the gtx 295 is like 150 bucks more and not that much of a difference in performance.
 
ok i just had a computer that used the ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 gig. it was a very good card while the computer worked. it is very reasonably priced for the card itself, especially considering its only a notch down from the full class cards. I personally recommend it just from user experience. i like it.
 
ATI makes good video cards yes; However i used them myself and never really liked them.
Nvida Makes good video cards yes; However i use them. research your video card your self.
See if you can check them out at you local computer shop.
 
Guys, he is looking at high range performance (HD 4850 X2, GTX 260 etc) not crazy stuff like GTX 295 or a HD 4870 X2.
 
btw, theres a tool name "ati crossfire xtension" , you can get it here: http://epichardware.com/index.php?topic=12.0
it forces known profiles of certain games to games that dont current support it.
for example, THE LAST REMNANT game has no support currently for crossfire
but it uses the UT3 engine. you can force crossfire on yout 4870x2 using the tool and using the masseffect or bioshock's profile.
 
Your best bet would be to go to Tomshardware and check the price comparison/performance you want. They have all of the charts listed and makes for a very easy answer to your question.

The link I have here is for the Best Graphics Card for the Money 09. Breaks everything down. Also on the site is the benchmarks for all of the cards in question. I trust their reviews and read them every day to keep up on the latest info. Hope it Helps.
 
Back
Top