An Idea for Map Rotation

(IO) SA

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
991
Yes! Another thread about a map rotation server!! haha, I originally posted this in the poll thread but figured it was a bit much to ask people to wade through 4 pages to get to the idea so I just editted out and made this thread instead.

Just a thought, creating a map rotation server wouldn't necessarily mean getting together a whole new server and the costs that are associated with it. We have DoD:S servers that aren't performing at an eGO expected level, we could simply switch one of them to a map rotation style server. And hear me out people before you go all "OMGOSH DONT KILL MY FAVE SERVER EVAR!!11!"

The Kalt server especially has been underperforming for the months I've been a part of eGO, why not change it up a bit and see if we can at least push it back into a stable top 25 spot instead of this hovering around, and dipping below, 50. I know people love Kalt, I know Kalt has been a long time eGO server, but Kalt certainly does not have to disappear; it would most certainly be a part of the map rotation. As it is, we don't have enough people who play the Kalt server enough to have any type of consistent numbers and achieve a t25 server rank (where all our other current DoD:S servers are performing).

I cannot see the risk associated with switching Kalt to a map rotation server, either it excels and the map rotation becomes a successful venture, or it tanks by eGO standards and is still probably not ranked much less than 50. If the tanking outcome became reality I'm quite confident we can simply switch it back to a 24/7 Kalt server and get it around a t50 server once again. Where there is reward there is undoubtedly risk, however this situation appears to be a low risk with possible high rewards for eGO. Especially if you factor in that if a map rotation server once again fails all the higher ups can undoubtedly put a final I TOLD YOU SO stamp on this thread and any others brought up in the future.

If this idea could even be considered I think it would mean a lot to those of us who love eGO, love their servers, and don't want to go elsewhere to play on map rotation servers with the maps we all miss.

I know the frequent Kalt players would not be pleased with the decision, but there is simply not enough interest to hold the Kalt 24/7 server to the standard of the other servers. A drawback of all map rotation servers is the fact that if a map comes up that people don't like they may leave - this definitely does happen. However, I just want to point out that this IS happening anyways in Kalt, people aren't consistently on the server at a variety of times. At least we know a decent number of people had to vote for the next map on a map rotation server for it to switch, people on Kalt leave just because its Kalt and no one is playing on it.

A little variety and change could do us some good, PLEASE realistically consider this idea and feel free to comment on this! (both those who have the power to make this a reality and those of us who are slightly lower on the eGO totem pole :D )
 
Kalt is your main server I play on, and while I might play at peak times, it is usually full or near capacity when I'm online.
 
Ya i dont see it empty too much. A differnt alternative to shuting down kalt would be using the event server for this. Rather than just having another idle server waiting to be used once or twice a week. I know wed still have to kick them out for events but i think that would really be the only negative draw back.
 
Kalt is your main server I play on, and while I might play at peak times, it is usually full or near capacity when I'm online.

I agree, Kalt is by no means a horrible constantly empty server. My point was that it consistently underperforms when compared to all our other DoD:S servers, ranking currently at 48 with everything else in the top 22. This makes it in my mind the best possible option that we currently have for a map rotation server that has been so strongly pushed for as of late.

And I'm glad that you frequently play there, if this idea becomes reality Kalt will still be there several times a day, and if a majority prefers it, during peak hours. That being said, admins always have the power to switch the server to whatever map they like as well. My hope would be to get the server from just full-ish during peak hours to something that contains variety for eGO and can compare to the ranks of the other servers we know and love.
 
Ya i dont see it empty too much. A differnt alternative to shuting down kalt would be using the event server for this. Rather than just having another idle server waiting to be used once or twice a week. I know wed still have to kick them out for events but i think that would really be the only negative draw back.

Empty? Nah. (It IS an eGO server after all woo!!) But each and every day it is a struggle to get this server up and going in the mornings and early afternoons. Even after it picks up there are periodic downtimes that just do not happen in our other servers to the same degree at all.

As for the event server idea I'm all for anything that gets us a map rotation server, I just don't think the idea would fly with the advisors/council who have worked hard to give us an events only server that we all enjoy.
 
Empty? Nah. (It IS an eGO server after all woo!!) But each and every day it is a struggle to get this server up and going in the mornings and early afternoons. Even after it picks up there are periodic downtimes that just do not happen in our other servers to the same degree at all.

As for the event server idea I'm all for anything that gets us a map rotation server, I just don't think the idea would fly with the advisors/council who have worked hard to give us an events only server that we all enjoy.

Ya i thought id just throw it out there. The fact is that the eGO does good with 24/7 severs. For a long time 5 was the magic number for the amount of servers dods had. The sniper server suprised me, probally along with alot of you, it starts up and theres like 5 people max in there, and now its almost full most of the time. Would i like to see a rotation server, yes, i miss some maps. But realistically i think we need to concentrate on getting what we got now to a higher standard, and make sure it stays that way.
 
Ya i thought id just throw it out there. The fact is that the eGO does good with 24/7 severs. For a long time 5 was the magic number for the amount of servers dods had. The sniper server suprised me, probally along with alot of you, it starts up and theres like 5 people max in there, and now its almost full most of the time. Would i like to see a rotation server, yes, i miss some maps. But realistically i think we need to concentrate on getting what we got now to a higher standard, and make sure it stays that way.

Legitimate goals for sure, just saying that before we focus a lot of attention on a server that isn't living up to it's billing, give this map rotation server a shot and see how serious people are about wanting a rotation server and playing on it.
 
i know me and a couple other guys can play 3-4 hours just with 4-8 of us trying to get it full in mornings and sometimes afternoons, when i dont have work lol. which is kinda a bummer :|
 
Kalt's performance issues are not because of lack of interest, but a constant issue of lag when filling up. Especially if Flash and Strand are full as well, all three of these maps are on the same box and for some reason we get lag on Flash and Kalt more than Stand sees it. Kalt before the lag started was in the top 20 and climbing, but since the lag as been happening with the busier months it has dropped considerably.

I would LOVE to see a rotation server, but cannot bear to lose Kalt, alot of regulars play on that map, myself included. I would honestly like to see another box implemented first and have an RTV server and Kalt share it. But in order to even have this considered we need to get more people donating to our organization.
 
I appreciate an honest constructive reply from an advisor! I know many people love Kalt and are regulars, and I would imagine continue to be regulars as Kalt would be played on a map rotation server a lot of the time. When I'm around in the morning I like to help get Kalt up and running myself even though I'm more of an ava guy. It's an uphill battle each and every day though w/o the server lag that comes from all 3 servers on the box being near capacity. It'd be great if we could resolve some server lag issues with new boxes and upgrades, I just don't see those things happening in the near future. So I'm just trying to make do with what we have without any further costs to eGO and pleasing the "Get a map rotations server!!" crowd.
 
Here's an idea...

Would eGo be interested in a joint server with the Buxom Bombshells? I can bring the BB server back online with a map rotation in place. Potentially if your clan would agree to it, we could do an admin swap by hooking into your database for rights and bans.

So basically, BB covers the cost and setup of the machine, and we split brand it with both clan names in return for participation in helping get the server populated and policed.

Of course, some details would have to be hammered out by command on both sides, and not via this thread.

Any interest?
 
Here's an idea...

Would eGo be interested in a joint server with the Buxom Bombshells? I can bring the BB server back online with a map rotation in place. Potentially if your clan would agree to it, we could do an admin swap by hooking into your database for rights and bans.

So basically, BB covers the cost and setup of the machine, and we split brand it with both clan names in return for participation in helping get the server populated and policed.

Of course, some details would have to be hammered out by command on both sides, and not via this thread.

Any interest?


You would have to bring that up with council, send a PM to Slayr or Fluffy and they should be able to help you.
 
I very much would love a server with rotating maps.We need spice after playing same few maps
 

Latest posts

Back
Top