How do you clean a laptop screen?

Mjolnir

Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
346
Hey guys, I've had my laptop for about half a year now. I've noticed some dirty spots on my laptop and I've cleaned it with regular....tap water. :facewall: I've recently noticed some crusty, calcium leftoverson mys creen, as well on my keyboard. How would I clean this mess up? I've read that distilled water is the way to go but I don't feel like spending money on a gallon of water especially when I'll only use a little. I've also read about isopropyl alcohol. I currently have a 70% with me but I don't know if that's good enough. Do I mix this alcohol with water or anything? I plan to clean my screen by using a microfiber cloth with the alcohol. :confused1:
 
my wife has a laptop and when i clean her screen (she never does) i just use some regular old spray cleaner like windex, or some other type of all purpose cleaner. I don't spray it directly onto the screen, but right onto the towel/cloth you are using and then i wipe the screen clean...so far this has worked out well, no streaks, and the screen still works!!
 
Don't use any harsh cleaners like windex. Use eyeglass cleaner solution and a micro cloth. That is the best solution. Or there are prepackaged moistened pads that are used to clean things like that.

my wife has a laptop and when i clean her screen (she never does) i just use some regular old spray cleaner like windex, or some other type of all purpose cleaner. I don't spray it directly onto the screen, but right onto the towel/cloth you are using and then i wipe the screen clean...so far this has worked out well, no streaks, and the screen still works!!
 
Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and water mixed 1:1 watch out depending on the hardness of your tap water you might want to use Distilled water instead.
 
i use the pre-moistened wipes everytime i clean my screen. They work out well :D
 
Some plastics are soluble in ethanol.

Guys do not use any home cleaning products on your monitors. You will ruin them. Monitors have a cover on top of the crystal wafer that is mean to pass certain lights and have specific reflective properties. Once you use Ammonia, Windex is diluted ammonia, or alcohol, which can contain traces of ethanol, you are chemically damaging the cover and reducing the quality of the monitor. So if you spend 500 on a monitor take care of it well and it will last a long time.


Isopropyl alcohol (70%) and water mixed 1:1 watch out depending on the hardness of your tap water you might want to use Distilled water instead.
 
Some plastics are soluble in ethanol.

Guys do not use any home cleaning products on your monitors. You will ruin them. Monitors have a cover on top of the crystal wafer that is mean to pass certain lights and have specific reflective properties. Once you use Ammonia, Windex is diluted ammonia, or alcohol, which can contain traces of ethanol, you are chemically damaging the cover and reducing the quality of the monitor. So if you spend 500 on a monitor take care of it well and it will last a long time.

thanks for the info frank. i was about to do that today too, lol. good thing i check the forums first.

what would you use for cleaning desktop monitors?
 
so hydrochloric acid and drano would clean it right up, along with anything else on the screen, and the screen!:P
 
i just use eyeglasses cleaning liquid with the microfibre cloth to clean my 24" BenQ screen along with my glasses, work out good, especially since i got the liquid to my glasses for free from my optometrist (or however you spell it) since my dad and him are good friends, i even got a good discount for my glasses ^_^
 
Don't use any harsh cleaners like windex. Use eyeglass cleaner solution and a micro cloth. That is the best solution. Or there are prepackaged moistened pads that are used to clean things like that.

True Statement!!
 
I use Anti-Static Screen Cleaner that i got from wal-mart for $8 and it came with a washable microfiber cleaning cloth. Apple also sells a similar product for $30 that is "made for Mac" but, mine works just as good...like frank said never use harsh chemicals like ammonia or alcoholic or bleach (definitely not together that will kill you)...
 
Back
Top