Language question for EGO servers

Dr. Phil's Moustache

I made one post
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
4
I am bilingual (English and Ukrainian...and I know a little Russian) and I like playing on EGO servers for DoD because they are consistently the best and the most fun.

Your servers attract people from all over the world from, I've seen them on there from Russia, China, Finland, Canada, Germany, Australia, England, etc.

Anytime I see someone with a Russian name, I greet them in Russian and ask them where they are from. Normally, this goes without any problems. But a few people on the DoD servers say that I can't talk in another language, English is "the preferred language", etc. I have read the rules stated on the servers and the only reference to language is that there should be no foul, offensive, rude words. That's understandable. But nothing is said about English only.

Is the official stance of EGO that it will only allow English or are the admins incorrectly stating that it's English-only?
 
good question, i was wondering that my self, even though i am from the States i hear ppl always (English-only)
 
i have been told by admins and from what they say they have been told by the higher up that ego are eglish only servers but its up to the admin on how far he lets it go.
 
eGO servers are run as English-only. To an extent, it can depend on the admin present as well (personally, if it's occasional and not bothering anybody, I'm more likely to let it slide, particularly in nearly-empty servers). This is enforced because you can never be sure of what a person is saying in a foreign language; it's not a discriminatory policy. It's just easier for us to admin everything in a language that a majority of our players can speak.

For example, while I can speak German with reasonable fluency, I certainly can't do it well enough to pick up on swearing over a microphone. It's just easier to run an English-only server; it's nothing personal towards foreign players. We welcome everyone and hope that they return, but please keep it to English when possible.
 
Basically what jeod said. It is the official stance of eGO that only English should be spoken in the servers.

If you say hi and where are you from usually it gets by, but some people do not know where to stop. Imagine having a party where everyone speaks English, except two people in a corner, which no one can understand. How do you think everybody feels about those two?
 
Imagine having a party where everyone speaks English, except two people in a corner, which no one can understand. How do you think everybody feels about those two?

hahahahn i dont think that was the best example... lol hahaha
 
I will tell non English speaking players to speak English as this was fuffy's words some weeks ago and I agree, we would not know what is being said and would be unable to admin efficiently. Most players understand the basic English.
I SURVIVED LONDON BLITZ
 
Just my two cents. I do agree with this part:
To an extent, it can depend on the admin present as well
I do not mind them sending messages in a different language but I would ask them nicely to use English only.

I remembered I typed Chinese a couple times on different servers. We all enjoyed the time speaking Germans, Spanish, Italian, English and Chinese for a minute or so. Well, the whole team was excited about that. We had this discussion about language so we started it for a while.

But one thing I think everybody will agree is that, speaking another language other than English on a mic is more a problem than a text message because players can actually hear the words. There are people get annoyed by that. So either case, especially with speaking it over a mic, I will ask the player nicely "English" only.

The problem is people may not know what the player is saying. It could be a racist comment, a curse, or just a greeting. But since the server is majority English speaker, and it is an English-speaking server, we do encourage players to send message and speak in English only.

What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
i think that its kind of a "when in rome" situation...i certainly have no problem with ppl from different countries or that speak other languages...but when the entire server is speaking in english...it can get a little confusing and destracting to be throwin random languages out over the mic...just my $.02...take it or leave it...
 
you can be banned for not complying with the english only rule. its been seen and done.

-Blue
 
you can be banned for not complying with the english only rule. its been seen and done.

-Blue

I when over this english only thing in eG private forums...... i told them what if i talked the same language that the pubs are speaking and their was only like 3 of us in server.. they still whant me to tell them english only, even if i know what they are saying..

So their you go-- ENGLISH ONLY SERVERS!

I think this question has been answered.
 
if they speak a foreign language i let them talk a bit but not the the extent not exceeding the rules.

but its pretty much up the the admin on how far he will let it go from what i understand :)
 
hahahahn i dont think that was the best example... lol hahaha

Ditto, but it was a good try


I would suggest putting "english speaking server only on all =eGO= servers" on the RULE board. That might help with some of the problems, then admins don't have to say "English only please" everytime. (maybe sometimes lol)

I myself ask if they could speak english, because then we can understand them and if they say no then I just mute the person. DONE!!!!


TAZ
 

Latest posts

Back
Top