4870X2 help!!!1

Blue Stealth

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
6,201
Alright so I am in need of some assistance. I travelled back home overseas with my computer. When I got home I got a strange BSOD whenever I turned on my computer. So I tried booting onto my second Windows 7 HDD. Same thing. Same thing with my Vista HDD as well.

Well the BSOD was telling me it could not refresh the video drivers and timed out. The file under suspicion was a file associated with my ATI drivers called "atikmdag.sys".

Well after clearing my memory, power supply, and everything but mobo and video card, I found that when I went into DOS and deleted every file under that name with the following commands:

C:>del /s atikmdag.sys
D:" "
E:" "

I was able to then log onto any one of my partitions, uninstall all traces of any ati driver, thus clearing the HDD's of any hardware issue, and use my computer just fine. However, this left me without my video card, which I need for games.

Whenever I went to reinstall the drivers (tried CCC 9.5, 9.4, and 9.3 for vista and win 7 64bit) it would get through the installation, ask me to restart the computer at the end, and give me the same damn BSOD when it tried to reboot:thumbdown:, making me go through the DOS step again, putting me in an endless circle of fail.:sleep:

I would just like any suggestions or help. I transferred all my parts to another new case;) this morning, ruling out the possibility of foreign objects affecting the flow of power.

Later today I will be trying to take out the 4870X2 and use my 8800GTS to see if its a mobo problem or not.

For notes I am not using the power cord that came with my corsair 1k watt PSU, im not sure if it matters, I am using one I found around the house. Additionally, the fan on my video card works, and the red light on the corner flash when I startup and power down the computer, but immediately turn off after I press the button. I think I remember one light staying on when it was working, not sure.

Also, my computer specs can be found in full in my sig, just check out the links.

Please and thank you.:facewall::facewall::facewall:
 
This might be a long shot, but double check the bios settings. Other than that you might need drivers that work. BSOD can be caused by a problem in resources.
 
yeah I have messed with my BIOS settings, tried defaults, even updated it (flashed it) and nothing works. The drivers I dont think are the problem because the same ones I have tried worked before I packed it up and shipped it. Im really thinking hardware, specifically the Video card, unfortunately. I bought it off newegg so I believe I have a one year warranty. If so, I might be ok, just have to use my backup until arrive in the US in August.

Thank you for the fast reply Frank.

-Blue
 
well I just booted up successfully into windows 7 with my 8800GTS and drivers installed for it, so I am now oficially owner of the most expensive 10 pound brick on the planet. I will be shipping it back to the factory. Thanks for the effort Frank. Sad to see my card die on me.

-Blue
 
Blue Stealth Sorry i couldnt help ya out dude. i did a little researching and could find any info on the issue. I think frank was on the right track.
 
Before sending it back I would try putting the video card in a friend's computer to see if you can reproduce the problem. You may still have a corrupt file, registry key, etc. that hasn't been tracked down.
 
yes I am with you on that hypothesis. I will put it in my other computer tomorrow once I finish rebuilding it to check and see if my card is not liking my BIOS. I dont believe its a corrupt file because it doesnt work on three different hard drives as of now, but it could be a coincidence.

I just got an N295GTX and will be testing it out tonight or tomorrow. I will see how it handles.

-Blue
 
the N295GTX is running perfectly. Will be sending the 4870X2 back for repairs. Thanks guys.

-Blue
 

Latest posts

Back
Top